Drilling out FL die to make body die

Namibguy

Hi so I have a set of hornady fl dies. I would like to use a body die with a lee collet die for my 223. The problem is no gunshop where j live stocks the redding body I wanted to know is it possible enlarge the neck part of the die to only work the shoulder and body of the case. If you can to what diameter would you think is right size?

You can definitely do that. Obviously, this is something that you would want to have a gunsmith or machinist do to maintain good concentricity.

You can definitely do that. Obviously, this is something that you would want to have a gunsmith or machinist do to maintain good concentricity.
Yes I will probably take it to a gunsmith. Do you have any idea on what neck diameter of the die should be

I've got a 223 rem body die at home Ill check it later, when I get home from work. If you don't see a reply from me by around 8pm CST, send me a PM.

More than enough, if your neck thickness varies more than 0.002", I would want to neck turn.

The reason for a body die is so you only size the neck once instead of sizing it small and then expanding it back up. If your body die squeezes the neck a tiny bit, it's fine.

More than enough, if your neck thickness varies more than 0.002", I would want to neck turn.

The reason for a body die is so you only size the neck once instead of sizing it small and then expanding it back up. If your body die squeezes the neck a tiny bit, it's fine.
Oo ok thanks for the info man

If you only use a single brand of consistent brass go with 0.003 under your loaded case neck size and do away with the expander and the Lee neck sizer. If you use multiple types of 223 brass mixed with military 556 there will likely be too much variance in neck thickness and you should go through with your original plan.

If you only use a single brand of consistent brass go with 0.003 under your loaded case neck size and do away with the expander and the Lee neck sizer. If you use multiple types of 223 brass mixed with military 556 there will likely be too much variance in neck thickness and you should go through with your original plan.
The brand I currently use don't is consistent enough but maybe on the future. It seems like a cool idea does it work well?

One thing to consider is that if you open it too much you may not push the neck/shoulder junction back enough and cause the case to be hard to chamber. Keep it between your loaded neck diameter and fired neck diameter. As Buck Fever said, Its OK for it to squeeze the neck a little.

One thing to consider is that if you open it too much you may not push the neck/shoulder junction back enough and cause the case to be hard to chamber. Keep it between your loaded neck diameter and fired neck diameter. As Buck Fever said, Its OK for it to squeeze the neck a little.
Yes I will definitely make sure before opening it up

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts