Blinded by the Light ! :-(

Beelzebub

The last two evening I have had to let a very VERY nice 9 point whitetail walk because the sun was dead in my face and low enough that no length of sun shade tube would have helped. I even took my hat off and stuck it out the window of my shooting house trying to block the sun. Couldn't do it and sadly have had to let a beautiful 9 point walk twice this week.

What do you guys use to either eliminate the setting sun glare of at least reduce it? I currently have a 6" shade tube on my scope. Will/would yellow snow caps help at all?

thanks in advance for any responses.

B

The last two evening I have had to let a very VERY nice 9 point whitetail walk because the sun was dead in my face and low enough that no length of sun shade tube would have helped. I even took my hat off and stuck it out the window of my shooting house trying to block the sun. Couldn't do it and sadly have had to let a beautiful 9 point walk twice this week.

What do you guys use to either eliminate the setting sun glare of at least reduce it? I currently have a 6" shade tube on my scope. Will/would yellow snow caps help at all?

thanks in advance for any responses.

B

I was going to suggest the honey comb type filters but direct sunlight is hard to over come.

Good luck!

hunting ibex this happens alot because of the steep shot angles l hunt in. best tip l can give you is..

1 find a thick bush and get behined it and shoot from behined that bush ( needs to have a small hole through the bush obviously ) doesnt matter how strong the sun is you use the shade of the bushes.

2. try this at home first = if you place your finger infront of the lens you can still see your target and you wont be able to see your finger ( just the saim thing as you cant see your front sight while looking through your scope. so just block the sun fron your lens with a object or finger and you will still be able to see clearly.

3. shoot at the target from another angle ?
might sound dumb but hey.. it works :D

Two questions.

1) Were your optics CLEAN?

2) What brand of scope do you use? This is one of those areas where the "you get what you pay for" saying is true.

You'l get him next time,
Tod

Two questions.

1) Were your optics CLEAN?

2) What brand of scope do you use? This is one of those areas where the "you get what you pay for" saying is true.

You'l get him next time,
Tod

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1. Yes, clean after every trip to the blind

2. Vortex

previous questions:

No way to shoot at a different angle. fence line runs due east and west. Road around the fence is only about 30' wide.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2. Vortex

previous questions:

No way to shoot at a different angle. fence line runs due east and west. Road around the fence is only about 30' wide.

even a good scope can be crap when used at a near angle to the sun.... My Pops shot a deer once with his 7stw with a v16 Weaver on top when the deer was washed out to me with my 3-9x Elite... Now my 6-24x elites are better with a sunshade into the sun, but I'd bet the Weaver would still give them a run for their money... as to Vortex, I just dropped coin on a 6-24 x viper pst, and I'm wishing I'd dropped more coin and got a tactical version in the Elite series... the Vortex is an average scope at best... I guess I've been spoiled with my Elites ( I have 5 of them) and my Weaver grand slam...

big sunshade and try to get a bit of a differing angle are your best bets... possibly playing with other scopes at a similar angle to your shot angle to see whether they all wash out...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2. Vortex

previous questions:

I've had this exact thing happen to me twice the last few years. Once was this season when I was going to shoot a doe at 425. The scope was completely washed out with light. I could see nothing. If I turned the power down to about 7 or 8 I could see thru it but I could not aim what I felt was precise enough.

BOTH times this has happened was with a Vortex scope. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

I have had this happen numerous times over the years. It's most exaggerated with orange /red hues, particularly prevalent just before the sun dissapears over the horizon. Be particularly careful enough rangeing with your RF. This condition can give misreadings! Choice of optics doesn't help much under these circumstances, IMO. Things to try:
-Lower the magnification
-Wait the animal out to see if he moves as angle plays a role.
-Wait for the suns position to change. Particularly late in the day.
-Cup your hand, or hat visor over the scopes objective lens.
If all this fails, you have a great excuse, and you will convince yourself that the animal was much better than he really was.:)

The yellow snow lens caps you ask about in your OP would make matters worse, I believe. They are designed to highlight in low light or haze conditions. Your eyes would really get blasted with the yellow cover on.
If your shoot house is big enough that you can back away from the window and sit in the back of the house instead of sitting at the window with your barrel sticking out. Just make sure you use ear protection before you touch that thing off with the muzzle inside the shoot house.
If the sun isn't shining on the objective, it should help getting a better sight picture.

I have the same problem. My blind is on the east side of my field. The deer come out on the west. As the sun is going down I can't see through the scope. I made a long sun sade out of a piece of plastic pipe. It works better than the one that came with my scope. But when the sun is real low it doesn't work either. I am thinking about putting a screen over it and see if that helps.

For what it's worth, many years ago I'd bought a cheap P.O.S. Russian night vision scope. It came with a scope cap for it's large front lens. Although new, the cap had a small pin hole in it dead center. I was busy cussing all things Russian but broke down and read the directions. It stated that scope" should not be used in daylight or aimed at any bright light" (duh). Well "Cuzin Eddie" comes over one day,picks up the gun,aims it at the neighbors poodle...full daylight...an energizes the scope, and says he can see "the little yapper just fine" with the cap on! Since I figured it was now toast anyway, I tried it and sure enough,that pin hole in the center let in enough light to give me a full sight picture, and didn't damage the scope. Looong story short, you might experiment a little with a scope cap or even some tape over the lens of your scope. Don't forget to post Pic's of that buck if you get him!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts