Bird dogs

dciron

I love those chocolate labs! My best dog ever was a chocolate lab. He was my dog for the meat of my guide career hunting ducks and geese in MN in the mid 90s. At one point Ol' Blue would make 30+ water retrieves in the morning and then chase roosters for another 4 or 5 hours in the afternoon. As he got older the cold water would dang near kill him late season even with a vest so I got a Chesapeake (I had 2 as a kid) to split the load and make more dry time between retrieves. The Ches was an awesome dog finished at 105 pounds of oily steel he was as smart a dog as I have ever been around. His name was Quintus and he watched over my kids like he was with the secret service. He was also a fantastic pheasant dog with a soft mouth and amazing rooster intuition. The current dog, a black lab has been great for the busy family and content to hunt just weekends. She's 11 now. The wife wants a year or two to travel without a dog so I will have a little time to decide on the next one. I am hoping Em can make er hunting one more year.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

wasskeet

LRH Team Member
Gotta love those Labs! Here is a pic of Cole, possibly our last as my wife is haired out. More of a pet than anything, but did enjoy his few times hunting - retrieved the first bird he ever saw fall.

Attachments

• 47CA17B9-EF9D-44D8-8CD5-BFE599E3FB48.jpeg
    47CA17B9-EF9D-44D8-8CD5-BFE599E3FB48.jpeg
    681.1 KB · Views: 26