Fireworks and bird dogs

birddog 68

Just a reminder that bird dogs and fireworks don't mix well.
Many of dogs have been ruined by fireworks but there's plenty of ways to keep them safe and keep them from becoming gun shy after the fireworks.
I'm sure there's lots of people here with good advice and would love to hear their recommendations.
What I have been doing is keeping them inside during this holiday. About dark I will bring her to the basement with me and crank up some tunes to help drown out the booms. Explain to neighbors that fireworks will scare your dogs and please give a notice before lighting any off. I have had good luck with this routine.
I have heard many stories of good gun dogs becoming gun shy after a fireworks show or ignorant people lighting firecrackers nearby. You know how much work you have into your hunting partner so please help keep them safe!
Have a safe and happy 4th of July.

Strange how some dogs go one way, and others the opposite

My dogs could care less, and indeed are a hazard to themselves around gunfire. They'll walk right up to me while I'm shooting, and require keeping an eye on them to make sure they stay back enough not to get hearing damage.

My dad's GSHP was terrified of guns (seeing them come out in the house, cycling the bolt, etc) but not gunfire. Though when dad was kitting up to go out hunting, the sight of a gun (and presumably his hunting clothes and gear) made him go ballistic with excitement for the impending hunt. Also, both his GSH and lab would actually go nuts when they heard gunfire/fireworks, but not from fear. They would literally tear up stuff trying to get outside to go retrieve what they must have thought were hundreds of downed quail during the 4th celebrations. They wrecked the inside of his truck once at the gun club, trying to get out to chase the downed clays...

Might not work for all dogs, but what I did with mine when they were tiny pups, was to go to a trap range, but I parked a 3/4 mile away, and just casually walked them towards the gunfire like we were out on a normal stroll. By the time we got to the trap field, they were completely unfazed. Never an issue since.

My dog is not gun shy at all but does not like fireworks. I have no clue how she knows the difference but she does.
Every dog has their own personality and tolerance of gunfire and or fireworks. Until you know how your dog reacts to fireworks I think it's best to keep a eye on them.
Introducing dogs to gunfire is different and everyone has their own methods and there's literally hundreds if not thousands of books explaining their methods.

My GSP was never bothered by gunshots, but fireworks…we headed to the basement and turned the TV loud. He would sleep OK then. But I only cat napped in my recliner for most of the night. Strange.

IMG_9105.jpeg

My GSP seems to do ok with them but she stays inside and is never directly around them. She tends to be a little more restless when they are going off but is not vocal about it or anything. I knew they could be an issue when I got her from past experience so I've never had her around them for that reason.

Recent Posts