Bird dogs

I remember seeing very few ruffed grouse when I lived in WV. The ones I did run across while squirrel hunting would scare the bejezus out of me.

We're pretty fortunate to have a good population of various grouse and game birds here. I spend more time in the field hunting birds than big game for sure.

I remember seeing very few ruffed grouse when I lived in WV. The ones I did run across while squirrel hunting would scare the bejezus out of me.

We're pretty fortunate to have a good population of various grouse and game birds here. I spend more time in the field hunting birds than big game for sure.
Grouse hunting was always my favorite hunt. I actually got shin splints one season.

Ruffed grouse is our state bird and has seen a huge decline. After doing numerous studies they have decided that West Nile virus is to blame and all of our grouse will be gone in 10-15 years. This could be the problem in Kentucky also.
We've never had many quail but in the 80's and 90's we would easily get 10 grouse flushes a day. I've had 2 in the last 3 years and couldn't even fathom shooting one nowadays.
Do you know what the reasoning was why West Nile is to blame?

You'd REALLY like chukar hunting then
Long as a dog is working I love it. Me and my family found grouse delicious. My body is really beat and banged up and today I wouldn't last long but I would love to try it.
I was hit with a shotgun in my lower right flank in 93 at close range. Half liver, 8 foot intestine, right lung and kidney, 7 section of rib, hole in my abdominal wall, half the muscle in my right back, pancreas damage, paralyzed my diaphragm, around 120 pieces of shrapnel up and down my spine, one in my right elbow, two in my right hip, passed twice etc. It took me a couple year to get back on my feet. Went back to work as a city officer for a few years but my body wouldn't let me stay. Retired and disabled now. With a firm grip on there is definitely something after this.
I was grouse hunting before all this and went back to it after. Bird hunting is good exercise for sure. Kept me in shape until the birds just weren't there. Enjoy every minute you get doing it my friend. Having a good population of birds is a great thing for those of us with it in our blood.

Do you know what the reasoning was why West Nile is to blame?
The ruffed grouse society and Colorado state university did the study on the decline and that's what they came up with. I think all birds are susceptible to the virus but grouse were affected more than others.
The report is probably online and interesting but it's been quite a while since I read it. Sorry I can't offer any more information.

I grew up in Michigan and hunting Partridge and Woodcock , mostly with Weimaraner's .
This is Smitty , he was the best hunting dog ever . Held his points till released and retrieved everything . I still get teary eyed thinking about having to put him down
IMG_0853.PNG

Took five years till I was ready for another dog .
This is Buddy , he wants to hunt , but we now live in Florida , not much to hunt down here . Great dog though .
283329528_130756306264738_3245335166602269257_n.jpg

All these amazing dogs makes me miss my DD sasha out of vom altmoor in NJ. She was incredibly smart and hunted all day.
I can easily say that my absolutely favorite type of hunting if I can only do 1 type would be behind a good bird dog. She gave me more pleasure in hunting than anything I have ever done.

Love you girl and I miss you Terribly. Daughter helping with water work when my puppy was 8 months old.
RIP Sasha. Good girl

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230323_104837_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323_104837_Photos.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20230323_105049_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323_105049_Photos.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 65
I feel your pain. Put my 15 year old springer down August 29th. Hardest thing I've done in 45 years of owning springers. While calling a number of breeders the next day in regards to planned 2023 breedings, I came across a 10 week old pup who had been returned to the breeder because the new owner suffered a stroke. I brought Drake home nine days later. Here he is bringing up the rear during a training session yesterday.

945B8A4C-85FF-479A-954F-28DCA6C13DBE.jpeg

L-R:
Quigley GSP
Wesson GSP/Treeing Walker Coonhound mix
Winchester GSP
Ruger GSP/Treeing Walker Coonhound mix

Badass pack. Sadly, all but Ruger are now gone. Quigley hit 15yo, Wesson only made 7yo, Winchester was nearly 17yo. I miss them greatly. I have a foster dog right now to keep Ruger company. Once she is out, I will be getting another hunting dog (or 2) for Ruger to teach the ins and outs.
20161009_081840.jpg

L-R:
Quigley GSP
Wesson GSP/Treeing Walker Coonhound mix
Winchester GSP
Ruger GSP/Treeing Walker Coonhound mix

Badass pack. Sadly, all but Ruger are now gone. Quigley hit 15yo, Wesson only made 7yo, Winchester was nearly 17yo. I miss them greatly. I have a foster dog right now to keep Ruger company. Once she is out, I will be getting another hunting dog (or 2) for Ruger to teach the ins and outs.
View attachment 450137
Ruger looks like a smooth version of my Sasha