Bird dogs

I don't know anyone in our NAVHDA chapter that uses Diamond. There's a lot of Purina Pro Sport or Kirkland. We feed Purina ProPlan Sport and the Kirkland canned to our three.

Diamond naturals from tractor supply is good stuff. My dogs had joint issues while feeding purina(cheap stuff), all went away when we switched to diamond naturals. There is also a difference between diamond and diamond naturals.

Diamond naturals from tractor supply is good stuff. My dogs had joint issues while feeding purina(cheap stuff), all went away when we switched to diamond naturals. There is also a difference between diamond and diamond naturals.
What's the difference between the two?

Couldn't tell you precise details but regular diamond is probably like a comparison between regular purina dog chow and purina proplan. The diamond naturals is highly rated over the regular diamond. We feed the chicken and rice year around and mix in extreme athlete during hunting season.

Got another girl- one of the guys that bought a pup from us a year ago couldn't keep her. I welcomed her back-

LNcW5Yo.jpg

She's with my old boy Schnitzel. Had a good opening morning last Saturday. This was before 10:00 a.m.

Learning to work with her mom-
X2SYdea.jpg

Dang you lucky Bast**d
I trained English Pointers, Setters off of horse back like in the days gone past in New England. 1970s & 80s. Georgia was the "Bird Dog Capital "of the World at one time" we always strived to get to the level of Georgia Bird dogs.
And I have been living here for 20+ years. after living in Hawaii.
Now -NO BIRD DOGS & no Birds.
We have hunted in a lot of parts of the world and for BIG Game.
For me nothing beats BIRD HUNTING OVER A GOOD GROUP OF DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The hardest part of hunting birds these days is the LIMIT per day. When I lived in New England depending on the time of the year, I could take out 3-5 dogs (pointers. flushers, retrievers) and go into an area , get my limit of Woodcock, Grouse, Quail, Pheasant so maybe at least 10 birds an area. Then go home drop off the birds and go to another area.
I could no way pay for a hunt in SD for pheasants of Iowa and only shoot (2) birds. I have hunted several private Plantations here in GA and shot up to 50 birds in a morning. Now this was with hunting off of horse and horse wagons with (8) dogs. Every 20 minutes would change out two dogs so they would not get wore out. Sometime bust out 30+ quail in a covey at a time and these were wild flyers. Once they took off they were gone. These plantations did raise birds, but wild raised. The prices for being a member of these Plantations and yearly dues were a lot more than my annual salary. So much for the "Rich & Famous" . I was lucky to be a "Honored Guest",
Would love to be in SD or Iowa this time of the year and have a few good pups. I have a new Benelli M-1 Field Camo 20 gauge and 6+ cases of shot shells just waiting for some birds.
I also have a NIB Cynergy posted for sale because I don't have the area to hunt birds.
Nothing better than bird hunting-Grouse, Quail, Peasant, Woodcock and then getting into DUCK & GEESSE is a whole another hunting!!!!
Yes BIG Game Elk. Moose, Deer, Bear, Speed Goats are extremely great to hunt ,EXCITING!!!, but ONE shot-one animal. Birds you can shoot many and action all the time plus working/hunting with your favorite hunting buddies (dogs).

That's why I love being here. If I want I can hunt wild pheasants, sharpies and huns in the same area. Around home I can go to the forest and hunt ruffed, dusky and spruce grouse. Dress 'em, eat 'em, wash rinse and repeat.

But it's getting to be 'pay to play' out here too. Unfortunately a number of farms and ranches we used to be able to walk are now posted shut and leased by out of state folks.

I grew up hunting quail here in GA with a pointer and we really had a lot of wild birds back in the 70's and 80's. My high school friend had a English Setter, now that dog could hunt. I always enjoyed watching the Setter work a covey or singles. No many wild birds around here anymore. I haven't heard or seen a quail here my farm for more than 6 years now. Really miss seeing them too.
Enjoyed your post and you obvious have good dogs that are a joy to watch hunt.