Bipod Pressure / Binding?

Thank's Petander for putting up the request in regards to the bipod use and all the Great Guy's for responding. I to; had the same problems once I started using the bipod last year. Got excellent groups off the bags, and everthing changed when I went to the bipod. All different results when using the bipod on the ground and I to off the Jeep hood. What a great site.

Wonderful thread. When it's over, in about one more month...I am going to print it out and take it with me the next time I shoot. I'll highlight the areas that describe the different techniques and then experiment to come up with my own version that works best for me.

I probably know a little more than most of you about the qualifications of the guys above who are giving us this advice. Let me tell you we are pretty fortunate to have their help!

.. OK.. Who's gonna volunteer to try putting a pair of tiny "aircraft style landing gear" firm rubber wheels on their bipod to help eliminate tension and provide a little shock absorption.??
grin.gif
grin.gif
JiNC

[ 03-20-2004: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]

You guys are gonna kill me...

those groups I just shot at 500 and 750 were shot off a bi pod but the legs were "neutral" with no tention either direction, on purpose.... I set up the rifle and bi-pod to "neutral" and "wiggled" my way into postition on the rifle and fired...
I firmly believe that it has A LOT to do with the stiffness of the forarm of the rifle stock. If you have the harris ( I have leg notches, tilt ) you usally leveled off, if you don't your bi-pod may cause the rifles forarm ( on recoil )to touch somewhere even the sides.

Come on Ric, you know that thing'd really come alive with a set a bush tires on it!
grin.gif

You're like me, and I don't know why I do it that way, just figured it'd probably work best that way shooting it "neutral". I've honestly never tried it any other way, pushed forward or pulled back. I just conciously set up so the legs have no pressure either way. Thought never crossed my mind until everyone began posting their different methods.
confused.gif

One more **** thing to think about now.
grin.gif

Yup, just one more thing to triple check before you pull the trigger and hten wonder if you triple checked it???
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Hehehhh... wheels,huh?
grin.gif

But the stock stiffness point is a good one and that may need another thread. I shot ONE three shot 100 meter group today with the Lapua,no bipod just bags and it worked good -except the POI was a little low... just to confirm I´m not getting too far out with this.

Quite refreshing to have a .22 rimfire day every now and then, it gets interesting after 150 meters.
tongue.gif

Have you guys seen the new Sinclair bipod in their latest catalog. Got a feeling it might be a nasty alternative to the good old faithfull Harris for steel clankin' and p-dogs. Pricey and I don't like the cross-rod, but sure looks solid and adjustable. Can't imagine having it attached to the forend, but it does.
Hmmmmm.

Okay, I got some skis and even a set of floats too, for the diehards of course.
grin.gif

Guess I haven't got the newest Sinclair, 2003b is the latest one I have, I think.

I too like the swivel, notched ones best. Never had the dial knob adjustable type collapse though, so they have worked fine for me. Never used it on a rifle over 11 lbs though...

Oh.? You guys thought I was kiddin', huh..??
.. Well how's about this, m'man.. If'n ya get yerself a big enough set'o'wheels (sleds for you guys inna frozen north) on yer bipod ya could use it to roll summa these heavy-arsed rifles afield, too..!! Talk about yer multi-purpose accessory..!!
.. Jes make sure that whichever of ya it is that fabricates this stroke'o'genius cuts 'ol Jake in on a little of the returns..!!
wink.gif
grin.gif
JiNC

Wheels? Naw, maybe some landing skis for Ian, Petander, Brent, & Ric from November - March.
grin.gif

I'll second the motion submitted for the Harris' with the notched legs & cant adjustment. I've had the tension screw style loosen & DROP to one side at some VERY inopportune moments.
mad.gif
Once the notches are set, the cant adjustment lets you fine tune without having to give your position away with motion.

One more thing - if you're setting up in deep snow, your bipod feet will sink down over time. If you don't pay attention to it, your muzzle will be BELOW the snowbank your resting on even though the scope's view is clear & unobstructed. You'll know it as soon as you pull the trigger...that swirling cloud of snow & ice produced by a +3,000fps bullet is a clue!
shocked.gif

Petander, the Sinclair catalog has some screw-on attachments for front rests that F-class shooters like. They have a pointy nub on the bottom. That may be just the ticket to omdify or fabricate one that can screw on the bipod legs. Just a thought......
wink.gif

Tested the 3 techniques today...

Results

forward pressure resulted in groups impacting high at given distances

neutral relulted in same POI as normal

rear pressure resulted slightly higher impact but not detrimental to hunting accuracy..

all testing was done with the 308 at distances of 550 and 750...

just thought you might be curious of my findings..
smile.gif

*to the sound of crickets chirping*
.. Yikes.!! Do I know how to shut down a room or what.?!?

.. Did I need to include some sortof note indicating my last post was a joke.??
grin.gif
grin.gif

Back on topic...

.. Since my server is being a beast with passwords of late I can't modify this pic to just show the part relative to this topic..
Pic
..If you look at the 2nd target from the left on the top row you'll see the edge of a group that was just off paper for the most part and one group at the top edge of the dot.. This was just something I threw at the target to test a theory about "tensioning" the bipod a couple of years ago with a decently accurate Ruger 6BR.. The group went a good inch out from normal POI for an "untensioned" bipod.. There's one more group on the next target to the right fired with a tensioned bipod.. FWIW.. d:^) JiNC

[ 03-24-2004: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts