Bipod Pressure / Binding?

I knew you were kidding.
smile.gif
Glad to see you squirming, though...
cool.gif

Jake,

seems like you findings are similar to mine...except I wasn't smart enought to take a pic... DOH!!!!

Who Jake, Kiddin!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

That's some POI change! Definitely need to account for that!

I shot some at 600 yards last week to check the difference on the steel plate, but **** if you can see the first group in the pic but barely missing paint in a small spot. I need new steel, this one's all shot to hell...

I don't really shoot long range but our deer are a lot smaller and at 250yards you need to be very precise.

I don't use a bipod as I find there are too many variables when it comes to field usage. The hardness of the surface varies, the angle is uneven, unless you're going to cant legs must be adjusted and the darn things are loud and uncomfortable to carry.

I choose to ball up my soft back pack (used for carrying back the carcass) and use that as a rest. It works very well and eliminates another piece of equipment.

Obviously there are lots of different opinions on how to make a rifle shoot consistently off a bipod . Here's my 2 cents worth . I do a lot of shooting with my .243 Ackley over the trunk of my car and using a Harris bipod . I don't have any problem shooting half MOA or better . My method is to hold on to the forend firmly as I would if shooting offhand and to apply some downward pressure . Prior to applying this method I found that I was getting serious vertical dispersion as the rifle bounced off the bipod and the springy metal surface of the car . The beauty of this method is that the rifle shoots to the same point of impact as it does when shooting offhand or from other improvised rests . Shooting off bags might be a different story unless you apply the same hold . Benchresters might disagree with my method in terms of achieving the ultimate group . If you are primarily a hunter who punches paper for practice or load development I think you'll find it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts