Bipod broke my stock!!! Ever seen this?

You probably would have gotten away with a Harris on the swivel stud as it would bridge the weekest area, if they intended you to add a rail they would have put that as an option like everyone else, the stocks with a second swivel made for bipods have reinforcements to handle it. This is an ultra lite stock and made as such with no provision for a bipod, it's really implied not to do it if they didn't make it to do it, probably calling before modifying would have gotten you the same answer!!
You bought the wrong gun then modified it to do something it was not intended for and didn't get away with it. I kinda was feeling bad for ya till you went down the having to modify it to do something it was not built for, there is a reason stocks built for ultra lite and bipods and such cost and are heavier!!

I'm having trouble believing this just happened. I was shooting off a bipod from the bench and this happened. I added the pic rail and additional t-nut to this stock but it broke through the factory installed one (I installed the one further forward). This is a super lightweight carbon fiber and Kevlar stock.

the rifle manufacturer stated that they do not recommend use of a bipod on this model so there is no warranty coverage.

anyway, it's either a freak deal or needs to be a word of caution to anyone using a super lightweight stock. I can't imagine a stock that you can't use a bipod with...View attachment 200558View attachment 200559View attachment 200560View attachment 200561View attachment 200562View attachment 200563

Unfortunate for sure, never seen it or even heard of this. It is repairable. If they warned not to use a device, why put a mount on it? Ubsurd. This community should get together in support of a manufacture claim. We are all avid shooters, it could happen to us as well!

I'm having trouble believing this just happened. I was shooting off a bipod from the bench and this happened. I added the pic rail and additional t-nut to this stock but it broke through the factory installed one (I installed the one further forward). This is a super lightweight carbon fiber and Kevlar stock.

the rifle manufacturer stated that they do not recommend use of a bipod on this model so there is no warranty coverage.

anyway, it's either a freak deal or needs to be a word of caution to anyone using a super lightweight stock. I can't imagine a stock that you can't use a bipod with...View attachment 200558View attachment 200559View attachment 200560View attachment 200561View attachment 200562View attachment 200563
Sure HAVE ! Seen it several times .
I can also see that doesn't look much like carbon fiber or Kevlar .
looks like fiberglass .
that's a shame !

Colder should make the policy of no bipod on any model of rifle it affects plainly evident, it weasel like to inform you after your stock is broke and not include that warning in the manual.

They could sell you a second stock, they didn't. I think that's sorry too.

I always wanted a Copper, after seeing how that stock is made, regardless of the break, I certainly won't buy one of the rifles with a synthetic stock. Kinda kills the desire for any rifle they make with service like that. Granted you modified it but it shouldn't have created the results it did and even if it did they should put a little effort into helping get it up and running again. For 3k there are some really nice options in rifles, light ones included. Shame on Cooper.

Go to your local archery store pick up the smallest diam carbon arrow shaft then cut them twice the length of the broken end drill holes into the foam right along the carbon stock both sides they will glue to the inside of the stock and the foam. Use 2 part epoxy and epoxy tubes into both ends of the foam also apply epoxy to the broken area and push together wipe off excess that oozes out tape along sides around the forend to secure and leave for 24 hrs. The carbon arrow shafts will strengthen the end and add very little oz. or 2 of weight

Looking at the Cooper website I do not see the terms "carbon fiber" or "kevlar" only synthetic.
Update:
Now I see it but only "reinforced" not MADE OF carbon fiber or kevlar.

Last edited:

Never seen this before. Not very many kevlar fibers hanging out of it. Makes me wonder if that spot didnt get enough in the mix.

Make sure you read the entire post. He did modify this section of the stock. That's a pretty beefy bipod on a "super lightweight" stock and if it was somewhat locked from canting up or down I could see where this could happen. I think a more minimalistic bipod installed on the single sling swivel would have worked without compromising the stock.

They should still replace it though from a customer service standpoint.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.