Is it Me? Has anyone ever seen this?

I must be lucky. I tried dry firing my ultralight six lug Weatherby. With 22 ounce scope it weighs 7lb 5oz. No movement. The trigger is set at 20 oz.

Nice light trigger! Too light for me, for a hunting rifle in near zero conditions! Heck, I'd mess-up with that with warm conditions. I've always admired someone that could properly use a light trigger! memtb

I found that a light trigger does help tremendously. I installed two jewells set around 12 ounces on 2 of my ultralites that helped the POI shift while dry firing.

however, when hunting - your froze trigger finger don't like 12 ounces!

I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that @lancetkenyon is the only one who has mentioned bolt jump.

Lock time? Parallax? LOL

Maybe I'm the newb here (no experience with Fierce actions) but I definitely have had rifles with bolt jump issues. The effect is inertia manifesting as torque when the firing pin spring relaxes.

Using a properly sized dummy cartridge can alleviate this some, but if you don't have an /actual/ gunsmith near you, it may be worth sending that rifle down the road. By /actual/ I mean one who not only knows what timing an action means, but also how to do it.

This forum really is going downhill...

Last edited:
No, I meant a lot of overtravel. The thought is giving a fraction more time before your trigger finger screws things up.

I figured you did! Earlier in this thread, I went into a lengthy description, using my "backyard" engineering degree to attempt to explain what happens with excessive "overtravel". If you combine, light rifle weight, heavy trigger pull, excessive "overtravel", and perhaps a heavy firing pin, this gives the perfect recipe for firearm movement...."right at the wrong time"! memtb

I found that a light trigger does help tremendously. I installed two jewells set around 12 ounces on 2 of my ultralites that helped the POI shift while dry firing.

however, when hunting - your froze trigger finger don't like 12 ounces!

Agreed and when that buck or bull of a lifetime graces your scope that trembling finger might have a hard time not sending that lead pill out prematurely. Would that be classified as premature ejaculation? ;)

All my triggers on both hunting and target shooting rifles are set at two pounds. I've found that they all feel similar in moments of stress and there is always stress when you finally see what you've been looking for for several years or when the guy next to you at the range just shot a sub quarter inch group and you have been bragging how accurate your rifle is... LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.