Binocular Help

Bominiscious

I want to buy a good set of glass. I'm willing to spend what I need to but also if there are more affordable options and I can get best bang for the buck then I could put other funds toward my rifle build.

I'm looking at Swarovski EL, Swarovski EL range, and Zeiss SF. Would also consider Swarovski NL pure but they are definitely more expensive Than the EL line. I'm also looking for first-hand suggestions and thoughts on a rangefinder binocular and wondering how many guys prefer those over a good Bino and rangefinder combo. Is the glass in the Swaro and the Zeiss rangefinding models as good as in the non-rangefinding models? Also, how usable are they ballistic software in each, or am I better off just using software on my phone apps?

I have about $2500 to work with so hoping to find a good used option at a discount, or add a little to it over the next couple months if it's worth spending a little more. If I could get into something for under $2000, I would be thrilled.

I know this is a deep dark hole, but would love to hear thoughts from other members

I was going to suggest the NL Pure until I saw your budget.

I think the EL will be in the range if you find a good used set. The EL Range are probably out of your reach, along with the NL Pure.

But, I would go down and actually look through all of your choices. Eyes are different, and like different things.

For me, the Leica are a no-go, for the simple fact that eye relief with the eye cups fully extended is a touch shorter on them, and my eyelashes brush the lenses. That drove me nuts when comparing them side by side with other glass. That is something you would never know without actually trying them.

The NL Pure have a bit of a difference in the view than the ELs. Not sure what it is, a touch of fisheye I think. When panning, I found the terrain to almost seem to warp/ungulate? Was a weird feeling, almost like a hint of vertigo for me. But the glass is absolutely insane.

I prefer a separate bino/rangefinder setup. So I would personally avoid the EL Range. Give me amazing glass with a Revic BR4. So I don't have to worry about my premium binos every taking a dump because of the electronics in them. I have not tried the EL Range to see how accurate the LRF is, but I know the BR2, BR4, Sig Kilos are just stupid accurate on shooting solutions as long as you get your inputs correct.

So for me, with your budget, there is only one choice. Swaro EL.

I was going to suggest the NL Pure until I saw your budget.

I think the EL will be in the range if you find a good used set. The EL Range are probably out of your reach, along with the NL Pure.

But, I would go down and actually look through all of your choices. Eyes are different, and like different things.

For me, the Leica are a no-go, for the simple fact that eye relief with the eye cups fully extended is a touch shorter on them, and my eyelashes brush the lenses. That drove me nuts when comparing them side by side with other glass. That is something you would never know without actually trying them.

The NL Pure have a bit of a difference in the view than the ELs. Not sure what it is, a touch of fisheye I think. When panning, I found the terrain to almost seem to warp/ungulate? Was a weird feeling, almost like a hint of vertigo for me. But the glass is absolutely insane.

I prefer a separate bino/rangefinder setup. So I would personally avoid the EL Range. Give me amazing glass with a Revic BR4. So I don't have to worry about my premium binos every taking a dump because of the electronics in them. I have not tried the EL Range to see how accurate the LRF is, but I know the BR2, BR4, Sig Kilos are just stupid accurate on shooting solutions as long as you get your inputs correct.

So for me, with your budget, there is only one choice. Swaro EL.
I think what you describe is the "Rolling ball effect" touted by bird nerds n such. LOL

Not everyone wears false eyelashes...
tenor (11).gif

If you're looking for a good "cheap" binocular, I would really consider the Razor UHDs. Not to be confused with the HDs. I get that the European optics snobs scoff at Vortex, but the UHDs are an extremely good bang for the buck.

Rangefinder
It really depends how comfortable you feel. I like everything to go through the kestrel (AB), so for me that's how I would do it. I'm really good at using a kestrel elite, I don't want to have to learn something else, I have custom drags on AB that are tried and true, and so I don't feel there's a reason to change it up, just because.

Rangefinder binos are a quick way of getting a solution at range, but a poor choice for a stalk in my opinion. I find myself mostly use them for range applications.

I think what you describe is the "Rolling ball effect" touted by bird nerds n such. LOL
Yes, I had the same experience with the NL 12x42 when panning, the view looks correct in the center but near the edge seems to speed up as you pan but I don't get that effect with my EL 12x50. Maybe something to do with the smaller objective.

Yes, I had the same experience with the NL 12x42 when panning, the view looks correct in the center but near the edge seems to speed up as you pan but I don't get that effect with my EL 12x50. Maybe something to do with the smaller objective.
I think it's the way they were able to get such a wide FOV on the NLs that causes the effect. I think it's just like @lancetkenyon said, they're sorta fish-eyed.

I'm nearly certain the rolling ball effect is less to non-existent in the Pures while it is in the EL with the field flattener. It depends on your eye and magnification on how bad it is. I easily saw it in my ELs but haven't seen in once in the 8 or 12 Pures.

Regarding mention of the UHD above, they are stellar glass for the price and warranty. My teammate and I were just today comparing some 10x50 UHD that I grabbed off a prize table to my 12x42 NL Pures. The glass is every bit 95%+ (and that may be low) of the Pure. The Pures had a wider FOV, even with 12 power, and deeper focus depth. They were a bit easier to fine tune than the UHD. But, if money is an issue I'd grab the UHD and call it good.

Just picked up a nice 10x40 Zeiss SFL from a member. Also picked up a SLC 8x56 to try for lowlight. So ended up going a little different direction but looking forward to using them this summer for scouting. Next will be a rangefinder upgrade.