Vortex/Celestron high magnificaton binocular help..

magedon44

I'm looking for a high magnification set of binos for long range hunting. I want to mount them on a tripod for glassing side hills in Pa from 600-1500 yards. Does any one have any experience with the Vortex Kibab 15x vs the 20x? I also saw Celestron make a Sky master 20x80 set of binoculars. Has anyone ever looked though a pair of these? Im on a budget so please understand I cant do the swaros or high end glass right now.

I'm looking for a high magnification set of binos for long range hunting. I want to mount them on a tripod for glassing side hills in Pa from 600-1500 yards. Does any one have any experience with the Vortex Kibab 15x vs the 20x? I also saw Celestron make a Sky master 20x80 set of binoculars. Has anyone ever looked though a pair of these? Im on a budget so please understand I cant do the swaros or high end glass right now.

I have four pairs of bins - 8x30 Steiners, 15x56 Steiners, 15x80 Celestrons, and 25x100 Zhumells.

The 8x30s go with me in the field pack. The 15x56s are easy to to toss in the car for scouting trips. The 20x80s must be used on a tripod... a window mount will work.
The 25x100s travel in a suitcase and use a large tripod.

The 20x80 Celestrons, are well made and the glass is sharp - I can see the moons of Jupiter and rings of Saturn - image is sharp from edge to edge.

But they ARE big.

Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 Binoculars | Telescope.com: Celestron

I have used the Kaibabs and they are decent. Not as impressed with them as I thought I would be. Never looked through any Celestron say can't comment on that. However, for a couple hundred more I would consider the Meopta 15x56HD or Cabelas Euro 15x56 (same bino just sold by them). I have the Meopta 12x50s and they are impressive for the money. I don't feel you could do much better than them unless you moved up to the Swaros.

Cabela's has them on sale right now:

Cabela's Instinct™ Euro HD™ 15x56 Binoculars : Cabela's

If you search for Meopta 15x56 HD there is a good review on rokslide

There are several options for you to consider.

Yes the Meopta is great and so is the Zeiss Conquest HD and the older Swarovski SLC but all are out of your budget range.

Stay away from the 20x

The Vortex Kaibab HD 15x56 is good as well as the Nikon Monarch 5 16x56. Another one to look for is the no longer produced Minox 18x58 ED. The Minox is a best buy when they come up for sale on the second hand market, optically its better in some aspects than the Vortex and higher quality of build over the Nikon. Keep an eye out on the auction sites etc for the Minox 15x58 ED.

Last is a new or used Minox 15x56 BL, made in Germany models.

There are several options for you to consider.

Yes the Meopta is great and so is the Zeiss Conquest HD and the older Swarovski SLC but all are out of your budget range.

Stay away from the 20x

The Vortex Kaibab HD 15x56 is good as well as the Nikon Monarch 5 16x56. Another one to look for is the no longer produced Minox 18x58 ED. The Minox is a best buy when they come up for sale on the second hand market, optically its better in some aspects than the Vortex and higher quality of build over the Nikon. Keep an eye out on the auction sites etc for the Minox 15x58 ED.

Last is a new or used Minox 15x56 BL, made in Germany models.

Thanks for the info! Why do you you suggest staying away from the 20x ?

With the Cabela's sale right now the Meopta/Cabela's model is only $200 more than the Vortex and would be a huge improvement.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.