Help me choose a tactical binocular

fnbrowning

Hello;

I'm looking to buy a 10x Tactical - Military model binocular that provides very good optics. Nothng with a laser. Nothing above $700.00.

I've narrowed the field to 2 entries. They are both reputable binocular manufacturers. The problem is, that local sporting goods or gun stores do not carry tactical binoculars, so I have no chance to examine them in person. So I'm relying on the reviews by people like yourselves to make my purchase decision.

Let's start with the largest of the 3, with the Vortex Viper HD R/T {R/T Ranging Reticle}
Vortex Optics - Viper HD R/T 10x50
Every gun board has Vortex followers. And for good reason. However wonderful the optics, these are the largest and the most expensive. Caution is warranted as spending that much more $$ may not bring really tangible benefits.

Steiner T1042r
T1042r | Tactical Binoculars | Steiner Optics
Make no mistake. this is Not your usual porro prism individual focus entry from the Steiner 10x military binocular line. It is a newer roof prism. Pluses would be German optical glass, maybe not Schott Glaswerke, but quality nonetheless. Better price than Vortex.
I've searched for hours to find the answer Vortex vs. Steiner, and it's really hard to get ratings on the Steiner Roof Prism glass.

Or, feel free to post info on a mil-tactical I haven't seen, but you have. IOR? Or a cold-war relic?

Comments?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.