Help me choose a spotting scope.

maninthemaze

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to a Vortex Viper 20x60x80 or the Zen Ray 20x60x82. Both of them have lifetime warranties, they weight really close to the same weight, and both are the same price (demo models). The price of both scopes is currently over my $500 budget, but I'm OK with it as long as it's money well spent. No I absolutely cannot afford a Swarovski or anything north of $900.

Here's what I'll be doing with the new scope. Hopefully, another year of antelope hunting in Wyoming. I will also be chasing muleys on the same trip. For 2017, my brother and I are planning a backpack elk hunt somewhere. We are currently reviewing states, areas, stats, points needed etc.

So what do you guys think about the Zen Ray compared to the Viper? Any other scopes that are comparable in price, optics and weight.

If you walk the line at most long range shooting competitions - you will usually see one brand of spotting scope more than any other...KOWA.

Why? Fantastic Glass. You did not mention how far you want to see - and at what detail. That is critical to your buying a scope that is "purpose driven".
I currently use an old, KOWA TSN-821. That is a non-ED glass 20-60x82mm angled scope.

Yesterday - at a range where there was a large black rectangular target @ 1320 yards - my friend had his scope - which was in the 900 price range that you are looking at. It is a fine scope - and I am not knocking it, or your choices that you listed either.

He could see the large rectangle, and I could as well - thru his scope - clearly...but not with enough resolving power to discern what the target was made of.

I got out my old KOWA. Set it up and tuned it. Coating on the objective sense has some areas that are "specs" of failing coating. The exterior was painted originally with something akin to fly-paper ( KOWA will refinish it, when I send it in - free of charge . Flatly - it is old and ugly...( well - maybe it is on the same path that many of us are on...:D)

Result? - When looking thru the KOWA, it was clear that the target we were looking at was a stack of RR ties, and old - big - tires. I could see the tread pattern on the tires when viewed thru the KOWA....

Resolving power is different from magnification...or "sharpness"... it is the detail that can make the difference in...the "detail" of what you are looking at.:)

This will mainly be a scope for hunting purposes.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into the Kowa scopes, as long as they have one that is under $900, eyepiece included.

Hope my comments help you in your quest. I am a "value driven" hunter/shopper.

It is thought to force what we want and need to it the number that we have available to spend sometimes. SO - I will resort to shopping it hard, and use E-bay and Craigslist when I have to, and feel the situation is legitimate. You can do so and be protected and your money safe - if you think out the process.

BTW - When I was about to send one @ 1000 yrds, and focused solely on the target thru my rifle scope - my caller - using my KOWA said "STOP! - deer in the path just beyond and left of target!"

So - I got on the KOWA - and saw a yearly doe, grazing, swishing her tail occasionally and lifting her head to look in out direction twice before ambling off into eh treeline.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.