Help Me Choose a Hunting Rifle Scope

treillw

I'm looking for a scope to put on a 7.5 pound .300 win mag hunting rifle that will be used primarily for elk and deer. I want it to be first focal plane. I want the minimum magnification not much higher than 3x. I want to have the maximum magnification in the 20x range for spotting shots and shooting around 1200 yards. I am willing to spend $2000 to $3000.

I have done a lot of reading and research and have two scopes in mind at this point. The US optics LR-17 3.2-17 x 44 mm and the March 3-24 x 52mm. These are my thoughts on the two scopes based on what I've read (I haven't found a lot of reviews on the US Optics scope):

March Pros:
Large zoom range
Lightweight

March Cons:
Finicky parallax adjustment
I heard it can be blurry at higher magnifications
I can see repairs being a hassle if anything goes wrong with it

US Optics Pros:
Lifetime Warranty with supposed great customer service
Anti cant level inside the scope - seems like it would be really nice to not have to look outside the scope to see the level.

US Optics Cons:
Supposed to tunnel at lower magnifications
haven't seen many reviews

Random Thoughts:
I can get the March for 20% off MSRP. Does US Optics ever have sales?
I wish the Nightforce scopes had a broader magnification range.

Which do you guys think would be the better choice? Any other scope recommendations are welcomed.

Thank you!

Bushnell - LRHS 4.5-18x 44mm

Don't overlook this scope. It is top notch in every category. The G2 reticle is awesome as well.

Here is one thread on it. There are others too if you search. Sniper's Hide - Long Range Shooting, Precision Marksmanship, Gear Testing & Reviews - Scout Front Page

I would also be looking at the new Nightforce 4-16 ATACR too. The reviews are off the charts! I know its less power than you want but the things people are saying about clarity at max power and the great eyebox, it would be a strong contender.

I don't know what your experience is with high powered glass but you can shoot a long ways with 16-18x. Especially with glass as good as these two and the very generous eye-box that both come with.

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope | SWFA
This would be my third choice. Very, very good for the price. All of these IMO compete with the big boys and in many cases exceed their performance.

Good Luck!

PS. I would choose the March over the US Optics. Lighter, better glass, better reticle, better turrets (more to my liking). I would pick any of my three over either of the ones you listed. Everyone's eyes and preferences are different though.

+1 what Scott said. both the LRHS and ATACR are very good scopes and the LRHS is well below your price range. Len sent me an ATACR to review this summer and it is an awesome scope. review is linked below for your reference.

Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 F1 Rifle Scope Review

keep in mind, march only has a 5 year warranty if I understand correctly. There are too many good, top tier optics for me to consider something with such a poor warranty when compared to the competition.

For hunting purposes you want a large objective and a large tube to gather the light for those early morning/late evening shots. I would not do anything under a 50mm objective and 30mm tube try the night force atacr 5.5-25x56mm, 34mm main tube for in the ballpark of 2300 dollars with 120 Moa of adjustment which will get you well over 1200 yards I have one on my custom 6mm Fat Rat it is one of the best most clear scopes I have ever owned

The uso and march eye boxes are pretty finicky the edge in glass goes to the march.

I'd look to Kahles they have some really nice options and if size isn't an issue and an atac is in contention I'd look at the gen 2 vortex heavy but bad *** glass and full of features

And there is always schmidt & bender

Just and FYI, tube size does not affect light transmission. I have 42-44 mm objectives on all my hunting scopes and have never had an issue.

I would also be looking at the new Nightforce 4-16 ATACR too. The reviews are off the charts! I know its less power than you want but the things people are saying about clarity at max power and the great eyebox, it would be a strong contender.

I don't know what your experience is with high powered glass but you can shoot a long ways with 16-18x. Especially with glass as good as these two and the very generous eye-box that both come with.

The Nightforce does interest me as I see more about it, although I initially dismissed it for it's more narrow magnification range. I saw that it has the same field of view on 4 power that the US Optics scope does on 3 power. Is 16x a comfortable power to be shooting a deer at 1200 yards? I know it's whatever you are comfortable with, but is it reasonible, or are you better suited with a higher magnification?

I have very little experience with quality high powered glass. Still very much to learn - thank you all for taking the time to help me out!

Do you have a total weight for your rifle you would like to stay under?

Of the 2 scopes you mention I'd go US Optics. I went up to the edge of buying one, then the ATACR came out, and Nightforce moved ahead based on glass. I bought a second one if that helps.

A lot of good optics out there, too many to be able to get hands, eyes on. I know 406 Precision has had hands on most of what's out there.

The US Optics show up used in the sites classifieds, but something about ordering one for your self has it's merits.

For hunting purposes you want a large objective and a large tube to gather the light for those early morning/late evening shots. I would not do anything under a 50mm objective and 30mm tube try the night force atacr 5.5-25x56mm, 34mm main tube for in the ballpark of 2300 dollars with 120 Moa of adjustment which will get you well over 1200 yards I have one on my custom 6mm Fat Rat it is one of the best most clear scopes I have ever owned

I'm still relatively new to all this and constantly learning. Originally I wanted something with a 50mm objective. I watched a bunch of the Tiborasaurusrex videos on scopes and he really seems to know what he is talking about. He said that a scope with a smaller objective and excellent glass can gather more light than one with a larger objective. He recommended the US Optics scope and the S&B PM II for the $2000 plus price range. I haven't really understood why some of these higher power scopes have the smaller objectives.

I'm sure the 5.5-25 is a great scope, but I want a larger field of view at lower magnification.

Thanks!

The Nightforce does interest me as I see more about it, although I initially dismissed it for it's more narrow magnification range. I saw that it has the same field of view on 4 power that the US Optics scope does on 3 power. Is 16x a comfortable power to be shooting a deer at 1200 yards? I know it's whatever you are comfortable with, but is it reasonible, or are you better suited with a higher magnification?

I have very little experience with quality high powered glass. Still very much to learn - thank you all for taking the time to help me out!

You will get a wide response on your question. It would be plenty for me but my brain does a very good job of centering things and I have good eyesight which helps. Others like to see the very hair they are going to be aiming at. That works too just preference. I personally shoot a 3-9x42 SWFA out past 1000 yards and don't feel limited. Smaller deer and antelope I would want 12+.

Try to get behind some glass so you can decide what your eyes and brain needs to be confident.

Do you have a total weight for your rifle you would like to stay under?

Of the 2 scopes you mention I'd go US Optics. I went up to the edge of buying one, then the ATACR came out, and Nightforce moved ahead based on glass. I bought a second one if that helps.

I don't want to go much over 9 lbs. I know weight is your friend, but I want to keep it relatively light weight. My rifle is said to come in at 7.25 lbs (I said 7.5 before).

Seems like people really like the ATACR. I gotta check it out more.

I don't want to go much over 9 lbs. I know weight is your friend, but I want to keep it relatively light weight. My rifle is said to come in at 7.25 lbs (I said 7.5 before).

Seems like people really like the ATACR. I gotta check it out more.

Weight is it's only shortcoming. With rings and bases you won't make 9 lbs. It's all trade offs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.