Help me choose a spotting scope

bighornbob

I am in the market for a top shelf spotting scope. I have owned Swarovski CT-85. It was huge even when collapsed and too long when in use. Big learning mistake! I will be using scope mostly out west on backpack hunts. Goat, Sheep, Elk and Muley are the main animals I will be hunting. I have been told by salesmen that the Swarovski HD's main benefit is to digiscopers. They have told me I would not be able to notice the difference between the HD and the standard ST-80. I have considered the Leica, Kowa and Zeiss. My concerns on the purchase price is I can easily pay extra for glass that I cannot discern the difference in the quality. I will not be birdwatching and reporting rare sightings of snow birds in Arizona! My other questions are angled eyepiece or straight? Type of packable tripod? I have found my backpack is not good enough. I am not opposed to buying used equipment, most of these products have a lifetime warranty anyway. I would prefer used to save money. My price range is $1000 to $1500.
I have read alot of reports and blogs on spotting scopes, but none have satisfied my questions about a "backpack hunting" spotting scope.
Do I sacrifice objective size for packability?
Without your input my main choice is Swarovski At-80 or ST-80.
Thanks to all that offer their experienced and educated opinions.
Bighornbob

Last edited:
I like all the ones you listed but the think is they are big. If you are looking for one that will fit in a backpack and will offer you great glass would recommend you taking a look at the Leupold 61060 GR 12-40x60mm HD. The glass in them is outstanding. If you get it from us and do not like it send it back.

Mike @ CSGW

I bought Swarovski STS-65 HD. Found one like new in the box on 24hourcampfire. First use was yesterday I have no regrets. I didn't want to spend that much, but I feel the resale is there if I need money that bad. I couldn't justify the depreciation on the other scopes. Swarovskis always have brought top $$ new and used. Clarityis awesome and 65mm is very light an backpackable.

I have a Swarovski ATS 20X60X80 and it is a very good spotter. I have a never ending quest for the best optics that I can take into the field and I just purchased the Kowa TSN-883 Angled 88mm Prominar Lens Spotting Scope and it is a better spotter than the Swaro. The difference is not that noticeable 800 yards and under. As the distance increases past 800 yards the farther you go the better the resolution is with the Kowa.

I recommend that you takes a hard look at the Kowa, they are outstanding spotters IMHO

Last edited:
I have read great articles on the Kowa scopes. That was my second choice. My dilema was choosing a scope that fit my specific hunting needs. This is what complicated my decision due to the fact I do not get to experiment enough in the field. I also considered resale of scope if it did not meet my needs. Swarovski is the most recognised name in the fine optics business. The 66mm Kowa would probably compre with my STS-65 HD but few people discuss the quality of the 66 everyone looks at the 883 Prominar. This scope is larger than I wish to carry. My next quest will be for the ultimate 10 x 42 binoculars. Here again what bbeats the new EL 10 x 42s???? I own the SLC series and have never regretted buy them over ten years ago.

I like all the ones you listed but the think is they are big. If you are looking for one that will fit in a backpack and will offer you great glass would recommend you taking a look at the Leupold 61060 GR 12-40x60mm HD. The glass in them is outstanding. If you get it from us and do not like it send it back.

Mike @ CSGW

My vote is for this one too. Not only are they compact with good optics, the eye relief and exit pupil have the highest numbers of any scope that I know of. Those numbers mean less eye fatigue for long term spotting. To me this is very import when backcountry hunting where most of my day is spent behind a spotting scope. I used a friends last season mule deer hunting and was amazed at how visually comfortable it was to use.

I compared this scope side by side with a swaro (don't know which model but it had an 80mm objective) and felt that while the Swaro showed better contrast, the Leupold held it's own resolution wise.

Given its compact size and comfortable viewing, the Leupold HD is my hands down first choice for backpacking.

Paul

The Kowa TSN-603 PROMINAR ED LENS, ANGLED and the Kowa Kowa Optimed - Sporting Optics, Medical Equipment, Opto-Electronics And the Kowa TSN-663 Prominar ED Lens, Angled Kowa Optimed - Sporting Optics, Medical Equipment, Opto-Electronics are excellent spotters. To me a spotting scope is all about resolution and that is how I judge them, with optical power a distant second. The larger the objective the better the resolution at long distances.

Take a good look at the Kowa's they are hard to beat especialy at the price point. Example Liberty Optics sells the 66mm Kowa with the Prominar lens for $1,069.00 delivered. Price includes 20-60x zoom eyepiece

LibertyOpticsLLC

... The larger the objective the better the resolution at long distances.

I'm not so sure about this.

I know that for camera lenses, in general, it is the opposite. That is, given equal quality glass, larger objectives will lower resolution.

For example a Canon L 400mm f5.6 with a 77mm objective will have higher resolution numbers than a Canon L 400 f2.8 with a 156mm objective. The f2.8 will let in a lot more light which is why it costs so much more but the f5.6 will out resolve it, throughout the aperture range, and especially wide open.

I could be wrong but I don't see why spotting scopes would be any different. It's too bad that no one objectively measures resolution on these so we would know for sure.

Paul

This is a quote from a review here, Big Scopes Fight Back | Better View Desired

"In theory, of course, a larger objective should result in an image with higher resolution (detail) and brightness"

Like I said, it would be nice to see someone objectively test the resolution of spotting scopes (and binoculars), like they do camera lenses, so we would know for sure. This guy's test was purely subjective like all spotting scope (and bino) reviews I've read.

By the way, the resolution tests I've seen for Kowa camera lenses have always been at the high end for their class. It doesn't surprise me that their spotting scopes are so highly rated.

Paul

I just purchased a Kowa TSN 883 and I compared it to the Swarovski 20X60X80 and the difference was not much if any untill the range started exceeding 800 and the farther the distance the resolution difference showed itself more favorably toward the 88mm Kowa. I am highly impressed with the Kowa

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.