Big Gun

baydog

Thought you guys might like this. We went to Norfolk Va. yesterday and visited Nauticus Navy Musem. That bullet and what ever load of powder they used to push that thing penetrated that hunk of steel you see there. The steel was 14 sheets of 1/4" thick steel and as you could see had no trouble getting through it. They had a big balance beam hanging from the sealing and on 1 side of the beam they had a older VW beetle bug car and on the other side one of these bullets and they balanced evenly, so the bullet weight was as much as the VW Bug was....

baydog

Attachments

• NCM_0369.jpg
    NCM_0369.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 75
  • NCM_0382.jpg
    NCM_0382.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 63
It looks like a 16" Projectile from a US battle ship gun. The projectiles weighed HE 1900 lbs and after WWII they had a Nuclear shell that was 1900 lbs and a 660 lbs of powder would send it 2690 fps. The AP projectile was 2700 lbs and the 660 lbs powder would send it 2500 fps with a range of 24 miles. I am told that they could put their shots in a tennis court at that range. Now that is REAL LONG RANGE ACCURACY.

I had a cousin that was in the Korean war and he told me that he called in fire once from a battle ship on a ridge line full of Chinese. After three broad sides of HE shells from the battle ship the ridge line had disappeared.

pfff. While it may be effective like a partition close range, it has a flat base and the ogive is off. Needs a boat tail. j.k.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.