big 7mm vs big 30 caliber

A 7mm RUM case is larger than a 28 Nosler. So by definition that should make it more powerful. I doubt there will be much real difference between the two with normal, 24"-26", barrel lengths. You are limited on how much gas you can flow thru a hole at a certain pressure. If you look at all the existing load data it appears those limits on a 7mm start somewhere around 7mm STW capacity. The case capacity of a 28 Nosler is practically identical to a 7 STW.

There are a lot of variables such as recoil, barrel length, etc that have not really been addressed by the op. Without particulars I can say from my experience that there is no replacement for displacement. The larger the diameter of the projectile the more effect it has on the animal. The best elk cartridges begin with the number 3. I also do not believe there is such a thing as over gunned when it comes to hunting big game. So if it is just a choice between 30 or 7 with no other specifications, I have to say the 30 will do it better.

Steve

Why? Not much difference between that and a 7-338 Lapua improved. Plus you have Lapua brass.

If your only hunting up in No. Idaho I'd get a 280AI and be happy. Heck I'd have no problem with the 7-08 for that matter. If you think you'll be shooting animals beyond 500 then you may justify more than an 280AI. Just my opinion.

Right now as it stands the two that I find stupid awesome are the 28 Nosler and 195 Berger and the 30-338 Lapua with the 230 Berger, those are my two favorite top ends for both though a 7 Norma Norma mag would be interesting!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.