Bi pod suggestion

Lrreloader

For those that do alot of outwest hunts, do you prefer 7"-10" or 10"-14" range for bipods? I really don't have much experience with bipods and don't want to spend a few hundred on one and regret what size I chose. I have a Colorado elk and mule deer hunt in 2021am told to expect shots under 500 yards. I have purchased a Christensen arms carbon classic in 33 nosler and looking into rugged ridge bipods.
Any experience/advice?

No to a bipod! Use shooting sticks....either homemade or commercially manufactured.

My homemade sticks are 48" tall....40" to the junction of the sticks. These will get you over most of the vegetation, will give you a good rest on a steep downhill shot, and can double as walking sticks. Bipods add a lot of weight to the rifle, and severely alter the handling of your rifle for a quick, offhand shots! memtb

I have been able to use a bipod with sucess here in Wyoming on pronghorn, high country deer and elk. I prefer the harris 9-13".

However, we are starting to move away from that in favor of something else. We are now mounting arca rails on our rifles, and using our tripods that we use for our spotting scopes. It saves weight on our back country hunts because we take a tripod anyway, and just leave the bipod. We take the spotter off, mount our rifles in the tripod and can use them for everything from prone all the way to off hand up hill. Also, if you have a trigger stick you can have a rear rest as well, 600-700 yard sitting shots are totally doable with this method, as long as the wind isn't pushing you around.

This has been the best solution we have come across so far.

20190814_164447.jpg

I agree, if I look back on the last 5 years of elk/mulie hunting in the mountainous West, I can't remember a single time that I could have utilized a bipod. I suppose if I took more time to build a shooting position then it would have worked. We lay prone and shoot off our packs. Even sitting, we stand our packs up and use those for front supports.

I like the idea of the arcas rails and the tripod assembly. Light bulb!

While I REALLY like the idea of a tripod, I currently run an Atlas on a QD rail system with a custom leather pouch for the bipod itself. Taken bipod shots on 3 of the last 4 animals. 2 on elk, 1 deer.

Ya, the arca rail works awesome. We actually used it today, my buddy brought his son up here for a doe/fawn pronghorn hunt, his first big game hunt, and we snuck up to this fawn, all we could see was it's head and neck due to the tall alfalfa, and the 12 year old boy took a kneeling shot at 98 yards and drilled this fawn, making a perfect neck shot. This platform is really stable!!
FB_IMG_1566098348208.jpg

I have been able to use a bipod with sucess here in Wyoming on pronghorn, high country deer and elk. I prefer the harris 9-13".

However, we are starting to move away from that in favor of something else. We are now mounting arca rails on our rifles, and using our tripods that we use for our spotting scopes. It saves weight on our back country hunts because we take a tripod anyway, and just leave the bipod. We take the spotter off, mount our rifles in the tripod and can use them for everything from prone all the way to off hand up hill. Also, if you have a trigger stick you can have a rear rest as well, 600-700 yard sitting shots are totally doable with this method, as long as the wind isn't pushing you around.

This has been the best solution we have come across so far.

View attachment 145708
That a good idea about tripod!

I've gone to the ARCA rail on a tripod too. Just too many times a bipod wouldn't get me over the vegetation in front of me. Rock solid rest and with the right setup you can use it in just about any situation.

I grew up and live in southern Wyoming. 90% of our shots on game are taken with a Harris bipod. We us the tallest version (12"-25") with the swivel for hunting. We own every height available and ALWAYS take the tallest. I'm not sure what vegetation people are talking about but here we have trees and sage brush, (sage is a great rest as well). The only tall grass we encounter the shots will be close enough to take offhand. I love my short Atlas bipods for long range target practice but the tall Harris bipods go on all our rifles for the hunt.

For those that do alot of outwest hunts, do you prefer 7"-10" or 10"-14" range for bipods? I really don't have much experience with bipods and don't want to spend a few hundred on one and regret what size I chose. I have a Colorado elk and mule deer hunt in 2021am told to expect shots under 500 yards. I have purchased a Christensen arms carbon classic in 33 nosler and looking into rugged ridge bipods.
Any experience/advice?
Several years ago I found a site by Varmint Al in which he had directions for making your own shooting stick. I made me one and since have made several for others. It works for shooting sitting or as a monopod when standing and also as a walking stick. If my rifle goes with me, then it goes also.

I just bought the inexpensive Quik StiX for my hiking poles. Easy to snap on and tighten down. They make your hiking poles X into a solid rest. like most backpacking poles my hiking poles are quick adjusting with clamping locks for height adjustment.

I believe there is no lighter or simpler bipod conversion available. Like the Kifaru Gun Bearer rifle carrier, Quick StiX are the lightest way to make a gun bipod. Easily removable for the rest of your hiking season.

These small moulded Delrin pieces mate quickly and twist a bit to give you a solid bipod.

i will not carry a tripod for backpack hunting. Just way too heavy.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.