Bullet suggestions for elk

Tac-O

I want to start working on loads for elk for 2020. I've only started handloading this year and have only been shooting Sierra pro Hunter 150g and h4350 powder to get the hang of it. I picked h4350 because it was suggested in Lee's manual as a powder for a wide range of bullet weights.

I'm thinking I want to go with a 180-200g bullet for elk. I have no intention of shooting farther than 400yd. So, if I end up with a 200g bullet, I'll limit my range to whatever will get me an absolute minimum of 1500ft/lbs.

So here's what I'm shooting... .30-06 t3x superlite, which I believe has a 22.5" barrel. I would like to continue using h4350 powder, but I'll go with whatever will get me the best accuracy for the chosen bullet. I will load to the fastest speed I can get without going above recommended charges for a particular powder. So looking at Lee's manual, I might have a muzzle velocity anywhere from 2400fps to 2700fps for a 180-200g bullet.

My question is, if I'm thinking I'm mostly going to be shooting elk from 150-350yd, what bullet will perform the best at those ranges for the gun and cartridge that I'm using? Does anyone have any recommendations on a bullet for that range and velocity that isn't $0.70/bullet and has good weight retention and ballistics?

I have the exact same gun you do( Tikka T3 stainless steel superlite in 30-06) and currently shooting 180 grain Nosler Accubonds I find them to be very accurate.
For next year I'm going to work up a load with 165 grain Accubonds. The 165s have less drop and carry more energy until about 800 yards

Darrell

I have the exact same gun you do( Tikka T3 stainless steel superlite in 30-06) and currently shooting 180 grain Nosler Accubonds I find them to be very accurate.
For next year I'm going to work up a load with 165 grain Accubonds. The 165s have less drop and carry more energy until about 800 yards

Darrell

Heck yeah!!! I love this gun. I had to dremel a little bit of the stock on one side of the barrel and a bit of the stiffening partitions in the foreend under the barrel and after that it was lights out. I can regularly shoot it 3/4 moa, sometimes 1/2moa, and I'm sure a better shot than I could do better than that.

What powder do you use with that bullet? Any idea what muzzle velocity you get?

180 accubond would my choice in that rifle as long as I could get it to shoot,
H4350 seems a little fast to me for that, I would think H4831sc would be better.

I haven't read the manual for a bit due to focusing on bowhunting. But if I remember correctly, you generally want to use a slower burning powder for heavier bullets to prevent pressure spikes, right? And that's why the 50bmg uses crazy slow burning powder?

In that case, are you doomed to lower MV with a shorter barrel like a 22.5" because of the need to use less powder to prevent sending a lot of unburned powder our the barrel?

Just wanting to check my logic on your statement of using h4831sc for the 180g.

....Just wanting to check my logic on your statement of using h4831sc for the 180g........

It's not a big trick to get 2600+fps with the 200 grain Accubond, this will get you to 600 yards, with the 1800 fps to maintain good expansion, from a 22" barrel. Given the 350 yard limit of the OP, the "shorter" barrel, and minimal velocity loss his goal is pretty easily met.

That's old school, and RL 16 is being used for good results by some of the newer .30-06 loaders.

For the 30-06 I'd stick with a 180 gr . I believe the heavier bullets due better in a little more case capacity. But With that being said I'd load some up and see how they do for your gun . It's worth a try for sure. Accubonds or partitions is where I'd look first.
I've never shot any solid copper bullets but I'm sure someone will probably say Barnes at some point. The hammer bullets would probably be a good choice also if you can get them to shoot. I think what intrigues me with solid copper bullets is you can go to the light side on bullet weight and after impact probably outweigh what's left of a normal bullet. With a good bit more speed

I want to start working on loads for elk for 2020. I've only started handloading this year and have only been shooting Sierra pro Hunter 150g and h4350 powder to get the hang of it. I picked h4350 because it was suggested in Lee's manual as a powder for a wide range of bullet weights.

I'm thinking I want to go with a 180-200g bullet for elk. I have no intention of shooting farther than 400yd. So, if I end up with a 200g bullet, I'll limit my range to whatever will get me an absolute minimum of 1500ft/lbs.

So here's what I'm shooting... .30-06 t3x superlite, which I believe has a 22.5" barrel. I would like to continue using h4350 powder, but I'll go with whatever will get me the best accuracy for the chosen bullet. I will load to the fastest speed I can get without going above recommended charges for a particular powder. So looking at Lee's manual, I might have a muzzle velocity anywhere from 2400fps to 2700fps for a 180-200g bullet.

My question is, if I'm thinking I'm mostly going to be shooting elk from 150-350yd, what bullet will perform the best at those ranges for the gun and cartridge that I'm using? Does anyone have any recommendations on a bullet for that range and velocity that isn't $0.70/bullet and has good iilweight retention and ballistics?
180 gr nosler partition will do an excellent job

I've been reloading 30-06 for a Winchester EW and we hit 2895 from my 22 inch barrel with H4350 pushing a 165 gr TGK. No pressure signs. H-4350 is hard to beat in the 06. From the numbers I've run nearly any bullet running a moderate velocity will do what you're asking. Sierra recommends their 165 BTSP but a 180 game king or pro hunter would also work. If you do 180 cup and core you'll be fine. If you want to go less than 165 I'd go bonded or mono.

New guy here. I've been hanging around this web site for years and absolutely love it. I've learned a lot from you folks, for that I say thanks. A looooong time deer hunter and 30.06 has been my buddy all these years. Reloading has become my hobby upon retirement, so not an expert, but one thing the Air Force taught me years ago, READ THE BOOK and FOLLOW IT. You won't get into trouble.
So to the OP, choose your bullet, Hornady, Nosler , Speer all good, invest in their manual, READ IT cover to cover. Post on this forum for advise, you'll get some good stuff here. Choose your powder, test away, be safe and stick with the BOOK, they've already traveled this path.
By the way, I'm running H4350 180 Nosler AB , getting near 2700fps , good powder according to the book, good bullet, puts meat on the table.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.