Best Value Long Range Hunting Rifle up to $5k

I picked up the Elevation MTR in 6.5 PRC and this is a group I shot at 1000 the first time I took it to the range....this was shots 58-60 in the rifle with factory 143 ELDX in a cross wind hold value of 7mph. Hard to beat for a rifle that weighs just under 10 pounds with scope, bipod, and empty magazine.

That's incredibly impressive!

Thanks for the advice! Is there a reason you like this mountain tactical rifle compared to the same priced Proof Elevation Lightweight Hunter one? From Proof you have these price ranges then the next level jumps up to $6500 and up! Do you know why and in your mind are these worth the at least twice as expensive rifles?
1st question - I prefer the form factor of a tactical stock.
2nd, because people will pay it. I have both, and the biggest difference between the MTR and the Conviction to me personally is the carbon fiber bedded, carbon fiber stock on the Conviction. That is the sweetest stock I've ever worked behind...but no, not worth double.

1st question - I prefer the form factor of a tactical stock.
2nd, because people will pay it. I have both, and the biggest difference between the MTR and the Conviction to me personally is the carbon fiber bedded, carbon fiber stock on the Conviction. That is the sweetest stock I've ever worked behind...but no, not worth double.
Very helpful bud, thank you!!

I've been posting this rifle and group pics a lot lately so I apologize if it's getting old but I'm pretty pleased so one more time....

APR built 30 nosler on a defiance tenacity, 10 twist muller barrel at 26 inches and AG stock. The 300wm will do most everything you're looking for. I was going to build a winny myself but found a deal on an ultra mag tenacity. As it sits loaded its 9.5 pounds.

These groups were fired cold bore dial and shoot 100, 300 and 600 yards. Its a 230 berger over H1K at 2950.

View attachment 213086View attachment 213087View attachment 213088View attachment 213089
That's really something! Are you selling it? What is APR and this is a custom rifles correct? Thanks for sharing I had not seen this before!
!

Bought a stock Remington PCR in 6.5 CM a couple years ago, and have been very impressed. Shoots aw well as my custom target rifle at 1/3 or the price. Last month I reached out to a mile with it. If I missed, it was my bad wind calls, not the rifles fault. For someone not wanting to break the bank, you can't go wrong.
Just looked this up. Nice tactical gun for the price no doubt! Unfortunately they don't make it in a 300 WM. Thanks for the great tip I appreciate it!

I've been posting this rifle and group pics a lot lately so I apologize if it's getting old but I'm pretty pleased so one more time....

APR built 30 nosler on a defiance tenacity, 10 twist muller barrel at 26 inches and AG stock. The 300wm will do most everything you're looking for. I was going to build a winny myself but found a deal on an ultra mag tenacity. As it sits loaded its 9.5 pounds.

These groups were fired cold bore dial and shoot 100, 300 and 600 yards. Its a 230 berger over H1K at 2950.

View attachment 213086View attachment 213087View attachment 213088View attachment 213089
If you don't mind what did this cost you and what is the exact model that you bought? Looking through their website they have many models to choose from. If I could get the one you have I'd be happy since its grouping so well. Thx!

Don't know the model if any. It was built to my request.

Defiance tenacity, AG composite stock in the APR hunter model,, APR contour muller barrel in a 10 twist at 26 inches with a vias brake, jewel trigger, wyatts mag box and APR bottom metal.

If i were to do it again I'd strongly consider a 9 twist and the 30-28 nosler as it would run the 245 berger. In reality, I have 600 230s and it does all I need. Id also be looking hard at the new An-ti action.

I dont want to quote the exact price as I did get a little deal on the action and Robert may have discounted a little here and there. I would expect it to be around 3k give or take.

Awesome thx!!

This is a 6.5 PRC built for way under 5k. PM me if you want some guidance in acquiring components. Defiance Tenacity Action, Mesa Precision CF stock, Proof CF barrel, TriggerTech primary, Hawkins Precision bottom metal.
3664DAFA-1CBA-4D9A-B420-8C831B53751B.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't know the model if any. It was built to my request.

Defiance tenacity, AG composite stock in the APR hunter model,, APR contour muller barrel in a 10 twist at 26 inches with a vias brake, jewel trigger, wyatts mag box and APR bottom metal.

If i were to do it again I'd strongly consider a 9 twist and the 30-28 nosler as it would run the 245 berger. In reality, I have 600 230s and it does all I need. Id also be looking hard at the new An-ti action.

I dont want to quote the exact price as I did get a little deal on the action and Robert may have discounted a little here and there. I would expect it to be around 3k give or take.

Much appreciated!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.