Best recipe for 300win

photogshooter

New to reloading (just ordered my first kit yesterday so VERY new). I ordered a kit to reload because I just built up a new long range rig chambered in 300win and I wanted better performance than the junk factory stuff that I could get locally (limited to Winchester Super X where I live).

My new rifle build was build for the sole purpose of long range target shooting. I have zero intentions at all of EVER using this gun for anything other than hitting steel plates at long distances. It also has a muzzle brake and weighs approx 17 lbs.

What would you guys in the know suggest for a load for this rifle? Some have suggested Nosler bullets, others have said Barnes is the way to go. Most people have said H1000 as the go to powder. I'm totally open to sincere suggestions here so please share your wisdom and suggest away.

Thanks in advance and (given the season) merry Christmas!

Start at 73 gr of H-1000 under a 215 gr Berger Hybrid. Either a Fed GM 215 M, a CCI 250 or you might try a FED 210 primer.

Seat them on the lands until you have the charge weight worked up. Then start backing off the lands -.010" at a time. You should have a load by the time you get to -.050" off.

77 gr is a sweet spot for most rifles, but work up to this.

Jeff

Get a good manual and read it several times then look up high power reloading by David tubb on YouTube and watch both parts.

READ several load manuals from the bullet mfg. you choose. start there, YOUR rifle will tell you what it likes. be cautious of internet info, better to pick brains of shooters at your range, especially bench rest or f class shooters

be cautious of internet info, better to pick brains of shooters at your range, especially bench rest or f class shooters

Yea unfortunately that won't happen. Closest range to me is approx 870 miles away. There's also no one even remotely close to me that does any type of reloading at all. This is why I came on here to ask the questions.

Start at 73 gr of H-1000 under a 215 gr Berger Hybrid. Either a Fed GM 215 M, a CCI 250 or you might try a FED 210 primer.

Seat them on the lands until you have the charge weight worked up. Then start backing off the lands -.010" at a time. You should have a load by the time you get to -.050" off.

77 gr is a sweet spot for most rifles, but work up to this.

Jeff
^^^^^^^^^^This. Seriously. And the plus side is if you decide to start to shoot animals with that combo it's effectiveness is beyond reproach. I read Broz's thread a few years ago, picked his brain with a few questions, and went out and started to knock stuff over. I shoot a lot of steel as well and it is equally as effective, especially in wind and at longer range...

READ several load manuals from the bullet mfg. you choose. start there, YOUR rifle will tell you what it likes. be cautious of internet info, better to pick brains of shooters at your range, especially bench rest or f class shooters

This may be true in some instances but Broz most likely has thousands of rounds through a 300 with 215s. I myself have more than enough data on this combo to know. If you are not going to use information on this forum then why come here. No one said use xx.xx grains of y powder with z primer etc. He said use a 215 Berger start more than low enough with H1000 and work up. I am not really sure how you get better info than that.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their insight into this. I've read all of the replies and I think that Broz's reply was the best. It's simple and straight to the point. While I'm open to hearing more thoughts on this, I think that I'm going to try this recipe from Broz and see how it works for me. Unfortunately though, I don't have access to any powders where I am and so I have to wait til March in order to acquire some and start some loads for this gun.

This may be true in some instances but Broz most likely has thousands of rounds through a 300 with 215s. I myself have more than enough data on this combo to know. If you are not going to use information on this forum then why come here. No one said use xx.xx grains of y powder with z primer etc. He said use a 215 Berger start more than low enough with H1000 and work up. I am not really sure how you get better info than that.

read original post "new reloader" the information in the manuals addresses the basics that a new reloader may not be aware of. the "basics" may give a newbie the basis to judge "net" info

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their insight into this. I've read all of the replies and I think that Broz's reply was the best. It's simple and straight to the point. While I'm open to hearing more thoughts on this, I think that I'm going to try this recipe from Broz and see how it works for me. Unfortunately though, I don't have access to any powders where I am and so I have to wait til March in order to acquire some and start some loads for this gun.

Just in case you have not seen this thread yet >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

It is never a bad idea to obtain a good loading manual and read. That's how I started 35+ years ago. I still have those manuals and many others. There will be that time when its late at night and you have a question. Its nice to have a resource to look things up. My first two manuals were a Honady and Speer. They were worth their weight.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.