Best product to fill in laser engraving before cerakote??

kgoltz

Just wondering what guys have used to fill in laser engraving before cerakote? I have a barrel that was a 6.5 Creed and rechambered to a 6.5 SST and the 6.5 Creed engraving is still on the barrel, just wondering what will fill in the engraving the best and will stick the best before I have it cerakoted?? JB Weld, Devcon, Acraglas, MarineTex or other bedding material???

Last edited:
Are you doing it yourself, or having someone Cerakote it?

Since they media blast it before Cerakote, they can spend an extra moment on the engraving and dull it down quite a bit before coating.
I don't think they will warranty their work if you want them to leave epoxy on the barrel. Odds are it will be blasted off anyway.

Are you doing it yourself, or having someone Cerakote it?

Since they media blast it before Cerakote, they can spend an extra moment on the engraving and dull it down quite a bit before coating.
I don't think they will warranty their work if you want them to leave epoxy on the barrel. Odds are it will be blasted off anyway.
I am having someone else Cerakote it, didn't think about the fact they will bead blast it before cerakoting, I will just ask if anything can be done, thanks for the help!

The not so easy solution would be to first sand blast it, fill the voids with silver solder, file or mill down the excess solder to blend, then Cerakote as normal.

It won't be long before you shoot out the barrel anyway in most cases. So, don't worry about it and it will correct itself with the next barrel. Just a thought.

Have the new engraver overwrite "CM" w. "SST" in a heavier font. Or "strikethrough" the CM and engrave "Upgraded to 6.5SST" beside it.

To bad when it was rechambered it wasn't indexed with the Creed hidden by the stock.
If Lances suggestion does work you could also mill off small flat on the creed engraving and start over.

To bad when it was rechambered it wasn't indexed with the Creed hidden by the stock.
If Lances suggestion does work you could also mill off small flat on the creed engraving and start over.
Thankfully it is hidden by the stock but I am getting new paint and was hoping there was an "easy" fix to fill it but it is appearing just leaving it alone is probably going to be the easiest!!

I have a rechambered .284 that the smith xxxed out the 7mm08 and generally made a mess of the stamping. Ended up getting the gun to an engraver and he performed a miracle before it got cerakoted. Not really sure what he did but I would find a pro

Just set to it with a small flat file. Then wrap the file with 320,400 and 600 metal sand paper. Keep expanding the area as you go along will help blend the area. Easy peasy. You can use a chain saw file too helps just focus on the spot intended…