Best laser rangefinder around $500...

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Defiance7mm, Apr 22, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. 4SFED

4SFED New Member

From a review by 1.800.Gear ... I can attest that this feature really works.
    • Tru-Target Technology is Nikon’s term for first or last target priority. This feature is useful to both rifle and bow hunters for measuring overlapping subjects – like elk in timber – or when brush partially hides the target. I find that first priority mode works great for small, unobscured targets like prairie dogs. Last priority mode is particularly useful when reflective objects like rocks or tree trunks are closer than a less reflective target like a game animal. Same holds true for squirrels hiding in tree branches. Target shooters will find this feature useful when confronted with multiple targets, particularly at distance.

2. alcesgigas

alcesgigas Well-Known Member

I've challenged the Nikon Black 4000 extensively. It's the fastest RF I've ever used and/or owned; that includes both Terrapins and the Sig 2400ABS. It's strictly a RF not a ballistic solver. It does give angular measurements. My "test platform" is shown as well. Both original Terrapins outdistance all, but they're no longer made. NIK4000c.JPG

Attached Files:

Floundertrap, ntsqd and Defiance7mm like this.
  3. Defiance7mm

Defiance7mm Well-Known Member

I've been skeptical of Nikon, but seems like you are seeing good results for sure

4. Danny Butler

Danny Butler Well-Known Member

Sig Kilo 2000.....

5. gcran

gcran Member

It can be found for $499... I have not taken my past 800 yet but it works well and has some great features

6. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

Whatever you can afford and has the wife's permission to buy....

7. dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

Leupold 2800 has been working fine around 2000y off hand no tripod on junipers cost about $500. I’ve never tried to range reflective targets with it.

I sold my kilo 2200 after because it was just not doing the same thing. No reason to keep a rangefinder that is worse.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Defiance7mm likes this.
  8. ntsqd

ntsqd Well-Known Member

I was skeptical of Nikon as well and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised.

Defiance7mm likes this.
  9. alcesgigas

alcesgigas Well-Known Member

I've ranged 3534 yards with my Nikon. However, it was under the best conditions--excepting for a cold NE wind--and the target was a reflective sign. The sign was just a bit smaller than a stop sign. Worse, I have no photo (due that wind), but my wife was there. I get a lot of supervision these days.

I will be doing that spot again and just for the pictures to put in this thread as it's most unpleasant enduring the incessant winds there. Probably won't be to the weekend as it's snowing hard now. That same evening I ranged 4924 yards with new "old" Terrapin; I think that was the farthest ever as I know I've never hit 5000 with anything I've owned or used. Just for kicks here's some photos from my first "old" Terrapin. origTERi.jpg

Attached Files:

Defiance7mm likes this.
  10. catamountsierra

catamountsierra Well-Known Member

I hit 5000 once, but a total station doesn't pack well for hunting...And it definitely was not in a $500 budget... not even in a $5000 budget, but still fun to play with at work.

alcesgigas likes this.
  11. 2C/1H

2C/1H Well-Known Member

out to real world hunting 1200/1400 yard range...

the Bushell 1 Mile CONX gets my vote

pair it to the 5700 sportsman or Elite and good to go

elkhunter1104 likes this.
  12. 2C/1H

2C/1H Well-Known Member

In fact I've got two sets with the sportsmans and would be willing to sell one...for a realistic offer.

pm me if you're interested

13. catamountsierra

catamountsierra Well-Known Member

I've actually been looking at the Sig units at around that price point. Right now I am using some older Leupold units that were retired from work.

14. foul bore

foul bore Active Member

Sig kilo2200 is real good for the money