Best Platform for Switch Barrel Gun ...(same parent case, different caliber)?

texas

Any ideas as to what would be the easiest and most reasonable.

Say you were going to use a 338 LM or something else that can reach to 1000 and beyond. Not changing anything else but the barrel and scope.

Would like different views from some that may have done this already also.

I'm not sure if a Savage would handle a 338 LM, but from what I have been reading the Savages are one of the easiest actions for a switch barrel gun. With the right tools and gauges they claim its very easy to do. Savage even sells bolt faces and they are easy to change, so you could go from a non-magnum, to a magnum too.

Frank D

I have 3 switch barrel guns one is on a Remington, the recoil lug has been changed so the barrels can be taken off with a action wrench and a barrel vice in a couple minuets. The other 2 guns are custom actions one is glued into the stock the other is in a barrel block I take the barrel block out of the stock and scope off the action then clamp the barrel in a vice and take the action off and put the other barrel that has a block glued on it and put it on the action takes a little more time put can be done in less than 5 minuets it is also a different bolt face 338 LM to 308.
Crow Mag

I built mine with both short and long range accuracy in mind. I've got a Nesika Bay model "L" with a .480 bolt face and pinned recoil lug. The barrels are a Shilen HV in 6PPC and a Lilja 6.5 X .284 Shehane. I don't change scopes though, I've got a Nightforce 12-42X on a Nesika 20 moa tapered base. This allows me to get on at 100 with the PPC and 1,000 with the 6.5mm and still have elevation left.
smile.gif

Texas
I am building my switch barrel gun in 300 Gonzo and 300 wade express Using the 338 Lapua case. it is built off the Jerry Stiller python action, jewell trigger shahane tracker thumb hole stock with a 32" kregier barrel and a 34" Lijia barrel. putting a brake on 300 Gonzo from the gun smith I am using and going to have S1 Put one of his brakes on the big boy. Will keep you posted as these events unroll. Keep In mind S1 it won't be long.

Thanks for the input. Are all of those going to be single shot?

S1 what would you use if one was to be a 30 wolf?

The Savage action is fast becoming the Chev 350 of the shooting world. This is the only true modular action on the market today. If you are planing to try different case head sizes, the Savage will be the best choice.

If sticking to only one head size, the Rem700 is pretty tough to beat for aftermarket support. Custom actions or other commercial actions will fit in this category with varying degrees of support.

The least expensive actions are those based on the Mauser action (commercial or military). The P14 (magnum case) and P17 ('06 type case) actions are also great for building big boomers where a heavy/long action is desired. Cock on opening parts are cheap and the trigger can be tuned or changed for excellent single stage 2lb performance.

Jerry

Can the model 70 be opened up to take the 338LM? Would like to have a wolf and some type of 338 best of both worlds I think.

S1- Pardon me for intruding on this line, but I noticed that you have done some work on Model 70s. I have a pre-64 in 300 H&H that I'm making a stock for and thinking about using it for an elk gun, probably in 300 Weatherby.

I have read somewhere in the distant past that the pre-64 is not good for anything hotter than factory loads in the H&H lengths because the lower recoil lug recess has been milled out in order to lengthen the magazine, which indeed it has. Do you have any comments about this? If I'm reading you right, you have used this action for the 338 Lapua, which should have even more bolt thrust.

jmbn

I'm pretty sure S1 is gone on vacation.
The Lapua will have more thrust.
The mag cutout is forward of the feed ramp and isn't in the new ones?

There's definitely guys at Accurate reloading.com that could say if it's weaker if it's cut back under the lug abutment area farther than the new ones. http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php
I know the Winchester LA can be modified into the H&H length Magnum action, so if that's what you have it's not a problem either.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.