Same question, different asker.

flopduster

Ok, I would like to become a better long range shooter. What is the best source for information on the effects of mirage, wind drift and other variables that must be taken into consideration when setting up for shots 400-800yds. I have little trouble with shots on game out to 350, but have not taken shots past that range.

Ranging error can introduce the largest problem, wind the next largest, and if you get a good range on the target it can be the largest as you have probably figured. Getting solid velocity readings at a few temperatures ranges you'll hunt in will give you the correct velocity to work with each time, very important and any ballistic program will show you just how much. Atmospheric temp and pressure will change the effective BC and most ballistic programs will show these effects on bullet drop and wind deflection too. You're in search of a MV ES (extreme spread) that is low or groups will get more and more vertical on you the farther you shoot. A higher BC bullet will give you less wind drift at LR, although it may not shoot as flat in the intermediate range, it will however likely have higher energy most all of the way out. Dialing in a few extra clicks for any extra drop is the easy part, at some point they will drop less than the faster lighter bullet with its lower BC. A good rangefinder and wind meter, Sherpa, Kestrel, will serve you well if you don't already have them. Making your drop charts from actual fired range data is a must, here's where you'll build your wind doping skills too. 4'x8' sheets of plywood work great for catching blown off target bullets... you'll learn ballistic programs do real well with wind speeds and is really necessity to either have charts with you with varying speeds or a handheld Palm Pilot with a ballistic program in it to give you the exact data and corrections.

Take a good load and practice, practice, practice. Of course there's even more to consider but those are some main things and a start. There's lots of great reading here too, the search function here can help you find alot of specific info you might be looking for too.

Books:

Precision Shooting at 1000 yards

50 Caliber Sniper course

Precicion Shooting Reloading Guide

and much more on the web too.

Good luck, you'll be at 800 yards in no time.
smile.gif

Sinclair Catalog www.sinclairintl.com has book on Precision reloading Volume 10 for $13
and Precision shooting at 1000 yards. buy both and that will do it.

As for forums for guns with classifieds forums that have lot of LR guns for sale. also go to BR central, look at menu on left click on "complete rifles", then popup will come up on right with names and go down to "Shooters Corner", click on that, when page comes up go to top of page and click on "the list". that is a 30 page list of BR guns, BR equipment, scopes and stuff from Bob White past pres of IBS in NJ. He is 120% accurate on his guns and you can rely on the info he says. He is noted for being totally honest on guns and what he sells. That list is not always current so email or call him and he will tell you exactly what he has in stock now.

brcentral.com
xtremeaccuracy.com

Best bet is to go to the 1000 yard matches in NC at HawksRidge just west of N. Wilkesboro and see the guns for sale and look at people are shooting. Dave Tooley, Leonard Baity, Bill Shehane are all big smiths and shooters that will be there. the nc website is www.nc1000ydshooters.com

their last match is real soon so look at it.

BH

Where is the best place to get books on longe range shooting??

Also, in addition to my rifle that I use for hunting, I am interested in buying a rifle that is set up for long range shooting to practice with and to learn what it takes to make a lr rifle so I will have a little knowledge before I try to build one. Where could I find these types of rifles for sale other than on this forum?

Personally, i've found that this board is one of my most commonly used references for anything far-and-away related-- especially by utilizing the search function.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.