BEST Pillars and bedding Kits

Are you sure this is what you want?
On well finished stocks I've seen pillars just short of contact with the action.
This loads the action against the bedding, which perfectly fits that action.
And I would think bedding contact is more important than anything about pillars themselves.

Think about it. If the action is stopped by pillar contact, then action torquing would make no difference. No amount of tightness would bring the action into better contact with bedding (or potentially ANY contact). It defeats bedding function.
Makes sense. Only bedded action without pillars, but every "gunsmith" I talked to, they bed the pillars first, then the action.

I think pillar use is tied to magazine intent, or not.
It's only function seems to be calibrating magazine/follower fit, and in no way contributing as bedding.
So if you're running a BR type single shot action, there may be no reason to use pillars.

I think McMillan beds over pillar tops to ensure that the pillars do not ever defeat the actual bedding.

We have several McMillan stocks still in our shop waiting to be Inleted. I have not spoken McMillan since last year and their website has changed. I heard that the person/Group that purchased Defiance Actions also purchased McMillan Stocks
I know that when I spoke with Mcmillan over a year ago that they said there is no need to install "Pillars" in their stocks due to the composition of materials.
I started this thread to get an insight into any new materials used in "Bedding" and also "Pillars". We have done bedding and Pillars several different processes over the years. I now see that there are different opinions as to "Pillar" Installation.
Keep your ideas and processes coming
Thanks much
Len & Jill

These are the ones that were recommended to me by a local gunsmith

IMG_4463.png

Recent Posts