BEST Pillars and bedding Kits

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Any thoughts on the best Pillars and Bedding materials? I have used different products in the past and have several projects (McMillan & BAT Actions) that we are finishing up and wanted to see if anything new out there or just the tried and true. Inletting some stocks from scratch and going to use for "F" Class and ELR so want to get a great bedding job and pillars.
I see several companies with "KITS" or compound materials and pillars separately.
Ribbed Pillars & Devcon 10110?
Thanks much!

Len these are the ones I use.
They are adjustable.I set the top ones first with a quick set glue and adjust the bottoms to the length I need.
I then use epoxy to set them in place.

They are adjustable.I set the top ones first with a quick set glue and adjust the bottoms to the length I need.
Thanks Much!
There are a few companies making the Pillars and can make them myself. The ones in kits are for certain Actions "Prefit to bottom of the particular action. but not for BAT. I can machine them to the bottom of the Actions and then after it sets I ca machine the bottom to fit with the Mill. We have purchased aluminum Rods and made our own ribbed/profiled Pillars in the past. Need to find that company.
These projects are a little more difficult. McMillan XIT and they were supposed t be inleted for the two Bat Actions "M" & MB". When I got the stocks they were not anything like anything I was told or imagined. The barrels are inlet to 1.25" and actions nonexistent I have a starting point from the rear tang-thats all.
I am sure that after a 1/2 day I will have it dialed in and all the cuts done, Then epoxy every thing for anther 24 and finish with the mill,
.338LMAI and 6.5X284 in McMillan XIT Stocks.

Last edited:
I use the same type. I adjust them and loctite the height with permanent locate, and epoxy in with preferred bedding compound. When shaped to bottom of particular action, you obtain a true metal to metal contact all the way through.

First of all, these are not mine but an image I borrowed from a professional rifle builder who creates these day after day:

1683725356250.png

Enjoy!

:)

When shaped to bottom of particular action, you obtain a true metal to metal contact all the way through.
Are you sure this is what you want?
On well finished stocks I've seen pillars stop just short of contact with the action.
This loads the action against the bedding, which perfectly fits that action.
And I would think bedding contact is more important than anything about pillars themselves.

Think about it. If the action is stopped by pillar contact, then action torquing would make no difference. No amount of tightness would bring the action into better contact with bedding (or potentially ANY contact). It defeats bedding function.

Last edited:
I have been using the method Richard Franklin teaches in video for bedding. He always machined his own from pieces of barrel blanks if I remember. The bedding process has worked great and use Devcon

Thanks

Buck

Are you sure this is what you want?
On well finished stocks I've seen pillars just short of contact with the action.
This loads the action against the bedding, which perfectly fits that action.
And I would think bedding contact is more important than anything about pillars themselves.

Think about it. If the action is stopped by pillar contact, then action torquing would make no difference. No amount of tightness would bring the action into better contact with bedding (or potentially ANY contact). It defeats bedding function.
Great considerations. I always "thought" of the bedding compound as supportive of the remainder of the action aside from the pillars. But if the bedding compound shrinks at all, the action would be "perched" atop the pillars with no additional support.

I guess I have some investigating and rethinking to do.

I make my own, always out of T6 aluminium, if I can get 7075, that's what I use.
Have had one experience with adjustable kit type pillars for a Mauser '98…was a disaster from the get-go, so never used them again.
I also don't allow the pillars to touch the action at any point, this is standard.

Cheers.

Recent Posts