Best piece of reloading of equipment u have

I use 2 electronic scales. My ES and overall consistency is on the better half of average. Throw charges on a Hornady LnL auto charge and then on a Lyman scale to confirm. I'll say the biggest mistake I've made with electronic scales is not letting them warm up. Seems like 15 minutes of warm up time improves accuracy. Some day a Gempro or better scale is on the hitlist.

Well I got out shooting again today. Miserable ES. On the order of 200fps over 35rds. I am not a fan of electronic stuff. About as tech illiterate as one can be and still function in the world today. That being said, I'm considering an electronic scale. Another electronic scale, I should say. You folks using that fx 120i scale- do you really believe it worth the hefty price tag? I bout swallowed my cud, man! Es before and after, maybe ? Are they fairly durable ? Dam that's a lot of components!
I was having a similar problem with my loads. My old RCBS scale is within 1/2 a tenth of a grain, the smallest I could find for checking my scale. I found a book by McFerson on reloading the metallic cartridge. He suggested the Lee factory crimp die. I know allot of people consider Lee the low end beginner type die, but the factory crimp die brought my loads down to 20 FPS difference or less on most of my hunting & varmint loads. I was sold & have one for just about everything I reload. It is inexpensive through Cabelas and worth try.

As it seems that this thread is aimed towards the new guys, then I'd like to bring up notes, and note taking, only 2 other mentions here. I suck at note takng. Always have. Notes in class? Yeah, no. Not me. However, I got tired of having to start over during load development on my one semi custom rifle. Every time I would get close( to closing in ) , life would happen, and I would get pulled away for a period, the last one being a year in duration. When I finally got back to me, and MY desires, I was completely freaking lost. So I had to get better at note- taking. And I'm not good at it, prolly never will be. I just write EVERYTHING down about my rifle! Turning into more of a novel, but I'm Finally about got her dialed in. After about 1000 rounds down the pipe. So....NOTES. And More Notes !
I hate to say this but if you put 1000 rounds down the pipe, your just about 1/2 way through the life of that barrel. Better be keeping notes. 100 rounds total with different types of powders should be more than enough to figure out any one rifle or pistol/revolver.

Man I have spent so much in reloading gear but without a doubt to this day the best money I spent was that scale! I mean u still have to do your part with brass prep but as long as u zero it out correctly it will lock down your powder charge!
I made the leap as well and am very happy with the scale. I added the auto trickler to it and cut my time from literally about 2 -3 minutes to accurately scale a charge to 10 seconds - to the kernel. It is wonderful! The new V3 Trickler is now out, but they are behind on shipping as the demand has been so high.

I use a Lyman dps2 and then either my RCBS 5-0-5 or Oahaus 10-10 to verify. After verification, I re-verify about every 10 loads. For the range, I just use a Lee protabel press.

I made the leap as well and am very happy with the scale. I added the auto trickler to it and cut my time from literally about 2 -3 minutes to accurately scale a charge to 10 seconds - to the kernel. It is wonderful! The new V3 Trickler is now out, but they are behind on shipping as the demand has been so high.
Has anyone received a shipped unit, I have placed a pre order on a complete v3 unit

morning, match grade dies, rcbs powder scale, manual dial caliber.
the dies give u a exact cartridge length. different bullets
have different ogives. bullet manufacturers give u a
specific seating depth for THERE bullets. this length is not
always good for a persons rifle for accuracy and chamber
pressures. berger VLD's r one of these bullets.
I like barnes bullets.very different design.
justme gbot tum

On top off my Frankford Arsenal case prep tool, the addition of the Loader Tools Brass Trimmings Tray, is the icing on the cake!
IMG_20190629_124244.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts