Best Mountain Rifle Scopes - your choice?

I have a Zeiss V6 Conquest 3-18x50 SFP and I'm really contemplating buying the new NX8 2.5-20x50 Mil-c as I run NF for everything else. The Zeiss is great but as mentioned above by another member... using LRF and trying to figure out the hold over and having to zoom to max magnification... I don't like that recipe. ALL of my other optics are MIL/MIL and are FFP. Might as well use what I know on my hunting rifle.

On a mtn rifle I like a lightweight scope. That's the whole idea behind a mtn rifle. I would hate to think I was spending extra money on components to save weight just to throw a 24-30 oz scope on it. I like the 3-9x40 trijicon accupoint at just over 12 oz. I have one on a 300 SAUM mtn rifle which is my main pack rifle. I have a Vortext Razor LH 3-15 on another. Its somewhere around 16-17 oz. I also just bought a Leupold VX5 HD 2-10 and 3-15. Both are also nice lighter weight scopes.

On a mtn rifle I like a lightweight scope. That's the whole idea behind a mtn rifle. I would hate to think I was spending extra money on components to save weight just to throw a 24-30 oz scope on it. I like the 3-9x40 trijicon accupoint at just over 12 oz. I have one on a 300 SAUM mtn rifle which is my main pack rifle. I have a Vortext Razor LH 3-15 on another. Its somewhere around 16-17 oz. I also just bought a Leupold VX5 HD 2-10 and 3-15. Both are also nice lighter weight scopes.

Those are nice scopes and compliment the mountain rifle well. I personally don't mountain hunt, but I would take a 16oz or so hit for FFP scope like LRHS 3-12, 4.5-18 or SHV 4-14 for simplicity sake and welcome it on a magnum or high recoiling rifle.
I would spend time on conditioning before hunting season and that extra pound or two heavier rifle won't matter if you loose few pounds and your cardio improves :D

That's what I bought for the task but I'm probably gonna get a Zeiss V4 to replace it. The glass quality is probably as good or better on the Trij and it actually tracks well and has enough to get me to 500. What it does lack though is eye relief. It's very picky and the Zeiss would be so much more user friendly for shooting past 300

I have a lot of spendy scopes but I really like my 4 Vortex Viper 4-16X44 HS-T scopes. My recommendation for solid bang for your buck. Custom turrets and matching reticles. They come in a bit over 1 lb. I put one on top of a Fierce Firearms CT Carbon Edge rifle in 7mm-08 and the whole rig comes in a bit over 6 Lb with 22 " barrel. Its my go to "handy" rifle.

A few scopes fit the bill nicely. A lot of good ones listed here. I'll say after mountain hunting a lot of years that not enough focus is placed on the rings and bases. I went heavy on mine now after a number of tumbles resulted in loss of zero. So now its loctite and Seekins Rails and rings for me. Mostly SWFA scopes and a couple of Nightforces.

X5 is a great scope..although SFP and the original post wanted FFP. The turret is a b%t#h to set but is very good once done...glass is top notch as in other Sworvski products, and at the price that could be had now $1800-2000 a very good buy (about $500 off there MSRP). I really like the Z8 and their Flex-turret...but I will not come off that kind of Dough. I'll have to wait until the new Z"whatever" and pick up a Z8 2x16 flex...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.