Best in class ammunition for Remington 700 Police (300 Win Mag)

Christian F.

Hi there, I am new in this forum and hope that I made the right choice joining you guys! I am a passionate hunter and long distance shooter and recently bought myself a Remington 700 Police in 300 Win Mag. before trying all sorts of ammunition to find the right one, can anyone (preferably a professional Sniper) give me a hint which fabrication and sort would be the most appropriate one for my gun. I plan to use the gun for distances up to or slightly longer than 1.000 m.

In my opinion the only way you can get good accuracy at that distance is to reload but you might be able to do alright with match grad ammo.
Tell us more about the gun is the action bedded has the recever been squared etc? And welcome to the sight!!

Thanks for the quick reply; the rifle is an "off-the-shelf" gun (Remington 700 Police) imported to Germany from the good old US via an authorized dealer.

I am quit certain that the normal hunting bullets, which we usually use in Germany, would not do perform at such large distances, as the shooting (hunting) distance in Germany does not exceed 300 m (in average round about 120m).

I plan to hunt in South Africa with this gun at large distances and at specialized sniper shooting ranges in Germany. The "art" of long distance shooting just fascinates me!

I am quit fussy regarding the accuracy of my other rifles as well (.17 HMR, 7x64, 7x65R, 9,3x74R, 7x57IS, 8x57IS and .22 Hornet) I am not satisfied unless I shoot groups of max. 1 cm at 100m and max 3 cm at 300m. Sorry for the metric units!

Please don't get me wrong, I do not want to show off or anything, I just intend giving you as much background as possible!
Take care and sorry for my bad English!
Christian

Last edited:
Welcome to LRH and enjoy! First of, I am not a sniper nor a professional on anything other than a modest and avid hunter with a passion for the outdoors. I am a big fan of LRH but I am nowhere near what most guys here are capable ... but I am learning fast and am willing and able to put the time it takes to get there someday :D.

I have a couple of .300WM and both shoots within 1 MOA @ 300 yards with factory ammo ... but will be reloading soon to get more accuracy as Cabelas90 noted.

You might want to consider factory ammo from The Hunting Shack Ammunition ... they do a lot of business with the LEs. I just purchased a box of

178 A-max ($28.07)

003-2.jpg

003a.jpg

and 185 Berger VLDs ($38.11)

002-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

but haven't had a chance to try them out yet but a friend has with very good results.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
Hay I am also not a sniper but I am a military man. "LE" means law enforcement and MIL means Military.

If I were you and I wanted some factory ammo I would look at BLACK HILLS and FEDERAL Gold Medal Match ammo it will shoot to 1cm in most factory rifles.

There are also some custom ammo manufactures out there like the hunting shack ammo who will send you a bunch of diffrent bullets to try in your rifle to see which one shoots best. You can also send them your rifle and they will make a handload for it and then sell you the ammo.

If you can start reloding there in Germany I wuld do that but I relize that might not be possable.

they may not be better; but many of the plastic tipped bullets shoot nearly as good as match bullets. 178 amax, 180 balistic tip/accubond are a few.

Thanks for the info "roninflag"!
I will now try systematically the ammo, which all of you suggested me and test their accuracy and come back to you later with my remarks and results. As I am not a "power" loader, I would prefer to get away with fabric loads before engaging myself in things which I am not currently so used to doing! However, how knows for the future!
Cheers, Christian

+1 on the Federal GMM and the Black Hills one of them should do it. I dont shoot factory ammo anymore BUT I ahave seen Black Hills shoot as good as hand loads in several 308's. One memberr on this board won a major comp. shooting Black Hills after being lectured on how hand loading would improve his performance. I am not saying box ammo will shoot better than handloads but in some rifles it will shoot good enough to get the job done. For the most part LE and Mil dont hand load, and they get the job done..

@ Rimfire: Thanks for the hint!
@ ICANHITHIMMAN: In my own hunting area in Germany, I will be shooting foxes at long distance but for my wild boars and raw deers I shall be using 7x65R or 7x64. My 300 Win Mag especially with ammo fit for long distance shooting will cause too much hematom at normal distances at which I shoot my raw deers and wild boars which will be between 50 m and 200 m.
Other than that I will try to get good at shooting on the sniper ranges which go as far as 1000 m. Further than that I am frequently in South Africa and hunt with local friends of mine and would love to shoot Spring bocks at loooong distances, but first I would like to get really good at this to make sure that the game does not suffer due inaccurate shooting. O.k. for the answer?

@ Rimfire: Thanks for the hint!
@ ICANHITHIMMAN: In my own hunting area in Germany, I will be shooting foxes at long distance but for my wild boars and raw deers I shall be using 7x65R or 7x64. My 300 Win Mag especially with ammo fit for long distance shooting will cause too much hematom at normal distances at which I shoot my raw deers and wild boars which will be between 50 m and 200 m.
Other than that I will try to get good at shooting on the sniper ranges which go as far as 1000 m. Further than that I am frequently in South Africa and hunt with local friends of mine and would love to shoot Spring bocks at loooong distances, but first I would like to get really good at this to make sure that the game does not suffer due inaccurate shooting. O.k. for the answer?
Great answer, sounds like a lot of fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.