Remington 700 Police 300 win mag Review/Accuracy

WILJAM09

Hey everyone, first post been lurking for years gathering info. I wanted to do a review on the Remington 700 police in 300 win mag. When searching for info on this rifle before purchasing I couldn't find all that much about it in 300 win mag although there were many reviews of the version in 308.

Specs:
Remington 700P
300 Winchester Magnum
26inch barrel 1:10 twist rate
HS Precision stock with aluminum bedding
Remington trigger 40X police

I just started getting into long range shooting I had a rifle that just wasn't cutting it for long range (500+yds). The stock wasn't stiff enough for repeatable shots, the barrel was sporter weight, and overall wasn't a "long range" rig setup. I have a friend who has a Remington 700 long range in 7mm rem mag that shoots lights out. So originally I was going to purchase a 700LR model, went to the gun store they didn't have any in stock but this 700 police caught my eye. Still affordably prices for what you are getting. Decided to do some research before I bought but couldn't find much on reviews or accuracy of rifles. I really wanted a 7mm rem mag (already had reloading equipment for) but I went ahead and took the plunge just based off of the spec sheet of the rifle and happy I did.

Fit and finish is all business, not a "pretty" rifle but that's what I wanted a long range shooting machine. First 20 shots I was so so on the rifle I just dropped $850 on the rifle $50 on bases and gun was only shooting 1.5-1.75moa at 100yds. But this was just factory 180gr ammo what could I expect, I knew it could do better. The trigger was super heavy and I would get two shots almost touching then a flyer. I did alittle reading and adjusted the trigger pull to close to 3.5lbs is my estimate which is fine for now and also decided to bed the recoil lug. I used the gunwerks video how to set up factory rifle and am very happy with results. I went back to shoot after bedding lug and made sub moa group with factory ammo! Then I went and got a set of dies for my single stage press and a box of 210 Berger vld. Loaded some loads with retumbo and have a had good luck so far shooting close to .5moa at 100yds. I'm still fine tuning a load for the rifle but I am very happy with is so far is seems to be a shooter. I can't wait to take it out further and to any one looking at purchasing I would say with my experience I have been very pleased and is capable of being a .5moa gun with some tweaks and handloads.

Setup:
Remington 700p 300 win mag
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 30mm
Talley one piece base and ring
Bedded recoil lug and lightened trigger

Reloads
210 Berger
79gr Retumbo
Seated .030 from lands
CCI 250 primer

I tried to add pictures will see if they show up.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 644
Good to hear man! Always great to hear a positive review of a Remington on the internet for a change. Usually you just hear people complaining and bashing.

I'm a huge 700 fan myself, and have quite a few of them. The 700 PSS & Police models have always been shooters. You have a great setup with that Vortex PST on top of it.

With mine, I have also noticed the factory barrels take 50 rounds or so before they start to settle-in and give consistent groups. Also, I recommend you torque the 2 action screws to 65 inch-pounds since it is synthetic stock with an aluminum bedding block.

If you upgrade your trigger later, Timney makes a good affordable option. And of course, Jewell triggers are the top-dog, but they're a bit more expensive.

Also, as you get to shooting farther, you will want to upgrade your base to a picatinny base, and some really solid rings for consistency. I recommend an EGW HD 20MOA base. And as for rings, I recommend the Seekins Precision. This setup is solid as a tank, it's what I run on my rigs.

Thanks for the I for the info. I did torque all screws to certain inch pounds the stock I did to 60 inch pounds my rings and bases to 20-25 inch pounds.
Here's a test load I just finished shooting.

100yd load testing
Berger 210 vld hunting
Retumbo 79 grains
Seated .020 from lands
CCI250 primers
Hornady brass

I'm happy with that now to load up a batch put it through the chrono and stretch out the range and see what she can do.

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 336
Thanks for the I for the info. I did torque all screws to certain inch pounds the stock I did to 60 inch pounds my rings and bases to 20-25 inch pounds.
Here's a test load I just finished shooting.

100yd load testing
Berger 210 vld hunting
Retumbo 79 grains
Seated .020 from lands
CCI250 primers
Hornady brass

I'm happy with that now to load up a batch put it through the chrono and stretch out the range and see what she can do.
Remember, each brand of rings and bases will have their own specific torque specs. So always look those up before proceeding. Breaking off a bolt can be a complete pain in the butt.

Also, that's sub-1/2 minute center-to-center. If that load repeats the same results, I'd say you're good to go.

Nice shooting! I almost bought a .308 police, but found a 5R locally. What kind of compound did you use for bedding?

I used JB weld two part epoxy and Shoe polish as a release agent. I think it worked great. After above picture I did a little cosmetic clean up with dremel tool. I waited 6 hours for it to set up then removed the action then waited 24 hours before I started clean up with dremel and placed the action back in the stock.

Attachments

• IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 520
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.