Best scope for .300 win mag

ebobbe

I'm looking for a hunting, long range optic for a tikka t3x in .300 win mag.

Looking to spend around $1000 area.

Needs to be FFP

Shooting distance at big game 100y to 800y max.
Target range distance out to 1000y would be a goal.

Glass quality, Durability and eye relief are top of my list.

Vortex viper pst gen ii 5-25x50
Obviously fits the criteria but..

Budget option
Element titan 5-25x56

High-end option.
Nightforce shv 5-20x56
Tract Toric uhd 4-20x50

NightForce SHV 4-14x50mm my bad.
I have thought about that scope too. It is heavy and only goes to 14x which isn't optimal for me on a 300 wm. My 300 wm is wearing a 4x20 Burris XTR 2. Not a light scope, but my 300wm isn't light. Your tikka is probably lighter which is why I said the Vortex LHT. The LHT IS .5lbs lighter than most of the other FFP scopes in the same power range.

Is it FFP? Does the reticle lines get super thick at 30x?

I saw a Maven 5-30x FFP and the lines were super thick at 30x
Reticle is fine at 32x. I find FFP reticles to be a little too small/thin at the lower 4x magnification for hunting, but you can easily turn on the illuminated reticle at low magnification to help.

While I always practice shooting long range (carry a range finder and Kestrel on my hunts) and feel ready to take a long range hunting shot, most of my hunting shots have been sub 200 yards and I just use the lowest magnification.

Reticle is fine at 32x. I find FFP reticles to be a little too small/thin at the lower 4x magnification for hunting, but you can easily turn on the illuminated reticle at low magnification to help.

While I always practice shooting long range (carry a range finder and Kestrel on my hunts) and feel ready to take a long range hunting shot, most of my hunting shots have been sub 200 yards and I just use the lowest magnification.
I agree! All my deer and elk have been taken sub 200 yards. It makes justifying a $1200 rifle scope that much more difficult. But.. is it better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Recent Posts