best gun for coyote and bobcats

Guys, I have been hunting coyotes since1960 amd I can tell you that you might as well put away the little22 cals when you get serious. If you are worried about the pelt shoot a controlled expansion like the barnes x, just shoots threw the coyote with a small exit wound. When I hunt in snowing conditions the 22-50 bullets will sometimes not make the target but my .264 always does. I recently bored out my 264 win mag to a 7mm dakota case necked down to .264 and I love it. Faster and more accurate. 3850 with a 108 grain lapua. Also, I use the burris balistic plex scope but use the cross hair for 300,400,500,600,740,875 and 1050. No dial turning and fast changing from one coyote at 200 to one at 600. With a coyote I dont have time to figure out how many moa or clicks it is to shoot 550. Shot a coyote at 873 a month ago. Less than 200, the 22s are fine unless its blowing 20-30, then shoot high bc bullets. Just some thoughts from an old timer. larry:)

Nothin wrong with a 264 of any kind. I love em all, just sent off an action for a 260 AI build.

However, they're not for everybody... and... why not the 139 gr. scenar? I've got some heavy 22 cal bullets that i put through my 6.5 twist krieger that have far better BCs thhan the 108 gr. lapua.

Just some advice from a young buck...whose dad is a retired Gov. Trapper.

TEX

I have an r-15 in 204 we use a lot also have a 223 bushmaster. Just cant make myself like the 223, its poorly balanced, and im not a fan of 223, most of our shots are inside 250 yrds, and the 204 or my 22-250 work just fine , on real windy days i take a 243 along, but dont use it a whole lot,i agree with the guy that said what ever you have should work ive shot coyotes and bobcat with everything from a .22 to a 405 win. They will all kill them, some just doit better than others

IMHO the bullet being fired is more important than the cartridge when saving the pelt is an issue. I am also a fan of super fast wiz bang rounds, but the 223 will kill any coyote at the ranges I believe most coyotes are encountered. A 60 to 65 grain soft point will go in small and not exit when kept at modest velocities. I have been utilizing this technique this year out of an AR 15 and have had great success. Each coyote and bobcat have all fallen to one shot kills and in some cases I had to actively search for the entrance hole. These rounds have also been working well on the pigs that I sometimes encounter while calling.

Here's my new coyote rig:

100_0300.jpg

Built by me:
Jard 3# trigger
18" White Oak Armament SPR barrel, 5.56 NATO 1:7" twist

It loved 77gr Fed Match ammo. Still waiting for the chance to shoot some 80gr Berger handloads.

I KNEW I WOULD CATCH SOME FLACK, WHEN I MADE THE COMMENT THAT I DIDNT CARE FOR THE 223, AND I KNOW MANY PEOPLE REALLY LIKE THE ROUND. AND A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE BUILT SOME PRETTY FANTASTIC RIFLES FOR 223, AND THATS GREAT .NO ONE ENJOYS A GOOD SHOOTER MORE THAN I DO. BUT IN OVER 60 YEARS OF HUNTING COYOTES , I HAVE NEVER BEEN OVER RUN BY A HERD OF THEM, I DONT SAVE THE PELTS AS MOST OF THEM HERE IN SOUTH TEX, ARE POOR QUALITY.COYOTES TAKE ABOUT 30% OF OUR QUAIL AND ABOUT 45% OF OUR FAWNS, THEY ALSO DO A LOT OF LIVE STOCK DAMAGE .SO WE KILL ALL WE CAN , ABOUT 30 TO 60 A MONTH, IT VARYS ACORRDING TO THE TIME OF YEAR.AS FOR THE 223 IF ITS YOUR CHOICE ENJOY IT AND I HOPE YOU HAVE GOOD HUNTING gun)

Hey Gunner1, no flack bro. I just showed my new one. I ordered a Winchester 94 legacy model in 30-30 for a coyote gun and 8 months later they quit making them. I think they are making them again but I don't shoot it. Its pretty much a safe queen. If I'm not concerned about pelts, then my M70 25-06 sporter draws that duty. For a kill only gun I love the 25-06.

RDM, THE 25-06 WIL REALLY DO THE JOB ON COYOTES ANDMOST ANYTHING ELSE, DOWN HERE, IN S.TEX. IVE BEEN COLLECTING GUNS FOR A LONG TIME AND ENJOY 99% OF THEM , EVERY NOW AND THEN I WILL PULL OUT ONE OF THE OLD ONES , AND USE IT FOR A HUNT , THEY ARE ALL FUN TO SHOOT,LIKE AN REM. 38-55 FALLING BLOCK, SINGLE SHOT , OR AN OLD 405 WIN.LEVER GUN, THEY ARE NOT FAST OR LIGHT, BUT THE 405 WIN . YOU CAN SHOOT AT A PIG , THEN SIT DOWN LIGHT A SMOKE AND DRINK HALF A CUP OF COFFEE BEFORE IT GETS THERE BUT WHEN IT HITS LIGHTS OUT FOR MISTER PIG. THE MAIN THING IS BE SAFE AND ENJOY YOUR GUNS NO MATTER WHAT THEY AREgun)

I've had two H&K 630's in my life; and regretted selling both of them. I used a 6X M8 Leupold with both the rifles, along with H&K's QD 04 a bullet proof scope ring's and mounts system. I had quite a few of their 4 and 10 rounds magazine at one time, the last rifle I had four of each for…. That's a lot for that type of rifle.
Accuracy on both rifles was excellent, it was the main reason I bought the second rifle after selling the first; the rifle bested most of my "most" accurate bolt .223's with room to spare. At that time for hunting I used Speer 52gr HP for most of my Yote's; it was a "murder machine" for Yotes... Capable of shots out to the max for cartridge and bullet; on a first round miss the correction was made and the second round was down range in a blink. The rifle was light; fitting the hunter like a glove and extremely comfortable to carry in the field... I sure liked the ability to pop of the scope and use the iron sights on those really close in stands; then back to the scope with "no" loss of zero…
With a set of Herb's shooting stick's {the rifle not set up for bipod usage} it made a great Yote walking package.
Sure miss those rifles. gun)

Last edited:
The best bullet i ever used for fur hunting out to 400 yds. or so was the 85 gr. Sierra Gameking out of a 6mm AI. Never got very explosive at 250 and under and still killed all the way out to 400+/-. I wouldn't mind trying the 65 Sierra GK out of a 223 or maybe the -250. I bet that bullet wouldn't be too bad out to +/-500 or so. The BC is just high enuf...IMO.

for economical purposes i think a 223 would be ideal. send a 75gr or 80gr amax at 2900fps and you're good out to and past 500yards. with more than enough knock down power.

if money was no issue something in 264 would be great as well. send a 139gr scenar or 140gr amax at 2800+fps and you're good out to 1000+yards. and you can also shoot the light pills if you want more speed?

I have yet to take a coyote with my 223 and the 75gr amax but am looking forward to it. but i did take 3 coyotes in the space of 5 minutes at 430yards with my 6.5x55 and a 139gr lapua scenar. small hole in small hole out.

I am look for the best over all coyote and bobcat gun that will work at all ranges with out to much damage to the pelt

I have used everything from shotguns to 22 magnums to 22 Lr, etc until two years ago. I have been elk & deer hunting with a Ruger 77 (30-06) for years & when I ran across a compact "77" stainless steel in 223, I had to try it. I put a Leupold 2x7 on it and "Oh boy". It is inexpensive to either buy ammunition or custom load your own. It has very little recoil, so even a youngster can shoot it with comfort and best of all, it is deadly accurate shooting 55 gr loads. It is all I take now in Georgia. Shots in this country can range anywhere from 30 yards to 250. The 223 is flat shooting & will not damage the pelt too bad with the right bullet............Have fun with your yotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts