Coyote Gun

My favorite dog gun in Howa 1500 in .243. I also have Rem 700 and AR in .223. If I am planning on having any shots further than 300 yards I pick the .243. The .223 and 22-250 have enough pop out past 300 yrds but if there is any wind at all it will push the bullet too much. Now if you go with the 77g .223 match bullets you might be ok but I would not trust it that much.

Mine is a tikka 22-250. Shoots 1/2 give or take depending on the day. Its more gun than I need tho I have never lost a dog I hit with it. I love my tikkas and as far as bolt gins, all I hunt with.

My favorite dog gun in Howa 1500 in .243. I also have Rem 700 and AR in .223. If I am planning on having any shots further than 300 yards I pick the .243. The .223 and 22-250 have enough pop out past 300 yrds but if there is any wind at all it will push the bullet too much. Now if you go with the 77g .223 match bullets you might be ok but I would not trust it that much.
I agree with you 22 cal(.224" Dia) 60 gr.spire point, velocity fps muzzle 3700, 500yds, 1916 fps energy 489 ft.lb
6mm(.243"dia) 100 gr. BTSP velocity at muzzle 3400 fps 500 yds 2215 fps energy ft. lbs. 1089, The 243 cal hits harder and is faster than a 22 cal. at that range. Taken from Hornady Handbook of cartridge reloading third edition.

I have been carrying my .243, Model 7 this year and it has worked well. Its compact and fairly light. I topped it with Leupold rings and a VX III 2.5-8x36. I also put a HS Precision Ranger stock on it and reduced the pull length about 1 1/2" and put a Limbsaver pad on it! My 12 year old likes the Limbsaver, as the original pad was rock hard. I have it sighted in at 1" high at 100 yards. Its been deadly out to 250 yards so far!

For that range either is great for yotes. Both can be had in short compact light weight rifles by multiple manufacturers. My 243win is an older ruger m77, nothing fancy about it, walnut stock, blued finish,about the only thing bad i can say about ruger is the trigger in my gun was ****...I replaced it with a timney and have never looked back. I shoot hornady 100gr sp or 95gr ballistic tips for deer and 75gr hp for yotes and about everything else. I i do my part the rifle will shoot clover leaf groups at 100yd until the barrel gets hot roughly 12-14rnds, groups open up slightly but nothing other 1 moa. I have a 3-9x40 leupold on it and can't complain about anything else, i got the gun when i was 12 for Christmas and have killed everything from crows to deer with it, excellent caliber for the range your planning to shoot. I can find ammo at almost any walmart if I'm in a pinch, 22-250 is just as available. Both calibers are easily re-loadable, relatively in-expensive and all around great calibers. If you don't have a deer rifle buy a 243win, if you plan on hunting mostly yotes get the 22-250, with the right loads it will cleanly kill deer as well. I'm not nearly as familiar with the 22-250 as i am the 243, before I start a whole world of **** I'll just say I've taken deer and coyotes with both i prefer the added knowledge that i have a little more room for error with my 243win.
As far as scopes go for the money it's hard to beat nikon for the money, i bought a predator special in 4-5-14x40 for my ar-15 build a while back and absolutely love it!!! For me it's about ideal my ar is in 223, and for right around $300 i couldn't pass it up.
If you don't have any real preference on brand i'd check out the thompson center bolt actions, haven't had a chance to try one out but if they're half the rifle t/c claims they are it's a hell of a deal. I own 1 older rem 700 and the 2 older m77 rugers and all wear timney triggers. Savage's accutrigger if adjusted right is scary close to the performance I get with my timney's and it'll save you the extra $150 i had to pay to have a trigger that wasn't **** in my rifles.

All the aformentioned calibers are great yote cartridges, but I still have a sweet spot for one of the "all time" greats in the field of Yote hunting the .220 Swift,. In a 26 inch barrel, using a 55gr. BT it's pretty hard to beat.
Just my .02

Attachments

• Leupold and Warne 001.jpg
    Leupold and Warne 001.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 120
I just bought mkg's 300wsm savage model 12....gunna be alil over kill but soon as I get home its goin yote huntin....

tomestone said:
I too went to a 300WM longer range less fleas happy home.:):)No one walks out to pick up a dog at any range there.gun)

I can't wait to get home n mount my scope on it....gunna just run some winchester 180 grain ballistic tips in it till I get my reloadin stuff set up, the oughta make a mess outa a yote!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.