Best "factory" LR Rifle

As a side note since you mentioned the Savage 10. I have a Savage model 10 .243 that shoots just as well as the 110 7 mag pictured.. By far the most consistently accurate rifles I own...

That's another rifle that is very underrated that is quite the shooter; excellent price too.

I agree Ed....
It amazes me what my TC Venture will do. It will shoot everything I put through it under a inch... Some are in the .3s or maybe a little better. It's a very well built rifle too. The heft of the barrel and action just screams quality... That's the rifle that makes me feel good about myself when I have my doubts about my shooting..:)

So would a 25-06 be a viable long range cartridge? Or would a 7mm or 300 Winchester Magnum be a better choice. I have a .257 Weatherby Magnum but I was told that I could not load a bullet with a high enough ballistic coefficient for it to be effective past 600 yards. Is this correct information?

Yes to your first question. And I have no reason to believe it would not be a excellent choice to your second question...

I started with a smaller budget but similar goal in mind. For the money a Savage Long Range Hunter is dang near impossible to beat.

Savage LRH 6.5x284 -- $800
Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 FFP-- $700 I like this better than the PST for the XLR MOA reticle and it doesn't have the illumination or uncapped windage turret.
20 MOA Base-- $75

The rest of the money went into reloading equipment, etc.

They make the same rifle in 300wm and 7RM.

The Remington Sendero is another great choice in 300RUM, 300wm, .264wm or save $600 and get the Model 700 Long Range for $650 on sale in 300RUM, the difference in price will get you a trigger, bedding, brake, etc and plenty left for a scope.

I started with a smaller budget but similar goal in mind. For the money a Savage Long Range Hunter is dang near impossible to beat.

Savage LRH 6.5x284 -- $800
Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 FFP-- $700 I like this better than the PST for the XLR MOA reticle and it doesn't have the illumination or uncapped windage turret.
20 MOA Base-- $75

The rest of the money went into reloading equipment, etc.

They make the same rifle in 300wm and 7RM.

The Remington Sendero is another great choice in 300RUM, 300wm, .264wm or save $600 and get the Model 700 Long Range for $650 on sale in 300RUM, the difference in price will get you a trigger, bedding, brake, etc and plenty left for a scope.

It's very hard to argue with the Savage LRH. I have had mine for six years and it's still going strong. This is a 500 yard group. I also have a Savage LRP in 260 Rem that I use very successfully for Egg shoots that shoots as well with over 1000rounds through it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.