Best "factory" LR Rifle

Trappernewt

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and I was sent here by a current member to get some opinions. I currently don't have the budget for a $5000 custom rifle so I'm looking for some opinions on a good quality off the shelf long range rifle. I have a $2200 budget for the rifle and scope. Please share your opinions on rifle and caliber. I'm really hearing a lot of good things about the 6.5 Creedmoor and I am leaning in that direction. Thanks in advance!!

Hi Trapper, welcome to the forum. This topic is one of the more fun threads on the forum!

Please offer some more insight on what the rifle will be used for. LR hunting deer or elk? For learning to shoot LR and target to 1000 yards? Need to be light for backcountry hunting or just hunting LR from a blind? You get the idea.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I probably should have been a little more specific. I live in WV and the rifle will be used for LR deer hunting as well as LR target shooting but not in competitions. Weight isn't a huge concern but the rifle will be carried and not always shot from a bench. I'm fairly comfortable shooting out to 400 yards but would like to start practicing out to further distances and trying to make up excuses on why I need to buy another rifle.

Well, I'm a Savage guy, but for good reasons. They are definitely one of the more accurate out of the box factory rifles these days. Ruger makes a good entry level accurate rifle these days (Ruger American). But the IMO the Savage is more flexible with options etc. For example you can get Savage model above the entry level that have excellent stocks, triggers, and barrels.

I would suggest looking at the savage Model 10 Predator Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Weight is 8.5 lb. This is due to a heavier varmint profile barrel and aluminum bedded stock (the Accustock). They are around $800.00

I shoot the Creedmoor. Great round for WV deer hunting and LR shooting.

For a scope maybe the Vortex PST 4-16x50 Second Focal Plane for around $600.00. This scope has pretty good glass, and excellent reticle, and very accurate dialable turrets. If I wanted to put more money in this rig, I would put it in a higher end scope, maybe a Nightforce SHV or similar. I use the Vortex PST on a 300 RUM though and it does very well for me.

It would be a one nice setup for a carryable rifle with excellent LR capabilities Lots of other options out there though.

Another thought... If LR deer is really on the table, might want to consider stepping up to something bigger than the 6.5 Creed. The Creed will realistically only get you to 500 or so yards on game, and it appears you shoot 400 yards already. If were gonna be shooting deer at 600 or more I would look at something like a 7mm rem Mag. Savage makes an excellent Long Range Hunter Rifle that comes with a on/off brake. It's weight is about the same as the Predator But has a longer barrel and comes in long action. They also have it in 300 WSM. Heck of an accurate LR round too.

Another thought... If LR deer is really on the table, might want to consider stepping up to something bigger than the 6.5 Creed. The Creed will realistically only get you to 500 or so yards on game, and it appears you shoot 400 yards already. If were gonna be shooting deer at 600 or more I would look at something like a 7mm rem Mag. Savage makes an excellent Long Range Hunter Rifle that comes with a on/off brake. It's weight is about the same as the Predator But has a longer barrel and comes in long action. They also have it in 300 WSM. Heck of an accurate LR round too.

That's the ticket. Now you'll need a scope which will get a ton of opinions.

The remington sendero might be an option you get a 26 inch long heavy barrel which seems to be hard to find in other brands. The rem is a good platform for the future as well.
The only things you might do is related the trigger, bed it. And lap the bolt lugs. It's what I've done to mine and with handloads shoots one ragged hole. (7mm rem mag) because of the decent amount of weight a brake is not necessary.

The other thing is handloads, work your way towards making your own ammo. (The 162gr amax works well, even deer)

I recommend sightron scopes as the best bang for your dollars.

Yep!

[ame]https://youtu.be/TVMCBEe0E_4?t=1[/ame]

I am extremely happy with my 300wm sendero that is shooting 1/2 moa with 215 bergers. But the Savage predator would be very tempting. But a sendero in 25/06 would be an awesome deer slayer. You might want to up your budget and buy one of each lol, to many good options.

I have a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 and a couple of Remington 700 Milspecs in 308 and 300 WM that are exceptionally accurate .25-.5 MOA shooters.

Many good choices are recommended from other posters...
Here's mine, if you are going to limit your deer shots to 500 or less, then the Creedmoor is a good choice. It has some very good factory ammo available. As far as rifles are concerned, here's my reccomendations...

This pic is from a Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor loaded with 140 ELD and IMR 4350 loaded to mag length. A little more tweaking and I'm sure I'll have it smaller...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 53
Here's a TC Venture 30-06 loaded with 208 ELD and Reloader 17.
This rifle can shoot better than this, but this is the first round load work up, a little more tweaking and.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 55
This is a 7mm Rem Mag Savage 110 in a Boyds ProVarmint that I pillar bedded.
162 ELD M with IMR 4350. Three Shots... These were all shot at 100 yards and I still have to Chrony them, after that I will confirm the velocity with drop data.
My opinion is.... If you want to spend a bunch on a rifle then I would do so... I would love to. But these rifles are all around 500$ and the scopes are around 500$.... So it shows, you can spend 1000$ on a rifle/scope setup and spend the rest on reloading equipment and have a perfectly capable set up...

Ps, sorry for the long post, my iPhone wouldn't upload all three pics on tha same post..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies! It seems that the general consensus is that the creedmoor is not a good choice if I ever plan to shoot at critters past 500 yards. I've looked seriously at the sendero sf2 but I have read a lot of negatives about Remington's rifles as of late but those were on the rifles on the lower end of their lineup. I reload for several of my rifles now and that's one of the reasons why I want to step into more long range shooting...I'm not limited to factory ammo offerings. The Savage Model 10 is one of the rifles on my radar and I actually almost order one on Friday but I thought I may want to look into a larger caliber round.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.