best 25 cal rifle

norm82

I am looking to get a 25 cal rifle and I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get. I have narrowed it down to the 25-06 and the 257wby. The 257 is defiantly ballistically superior over the 25-06, but the 25-06 is easy to load for and cheaper. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

You got the data right except the loading. The 257 is no harder than anything else but yes it is less expensive to load the 25-06, brass and less powder.

Of course as I've said, I'm Weatherby prejudiced.

25-06 is available from almost everybody, the 257 seems to be only available from Weatherby.

As stated they are the same to load for. For me hands down Weatherby. Much more velocity. As for price you need to look at it I. Real life after you get your load correct how much are you really gonna shoot it. I have guys say they won't buy one because of ammo price let's think a bit. These guys after sighting in only shoot one box of ammo every few years while hunting. Hell even iI do because I have range guns for practice. So although ammo may be $40 bucks more a box if it last two years that's only 20 a year for a she lot more speed.
Be sure to get at least a 26 inch barrel or the gap between the two calibers gets very small dogsneed long barrels to get the speed.

Norm, I have both and reload for them. They use the same Berger 115 gr but different powders and primers. I checked a lot of shops and found Weatherby factory ammo for less than $30 a box, pulled bullets or shot them to have the brass. They both shoot very accurate, but I have to go with the .257 Wby for the extra slam it has at longer ranges. Feel confident using the Wby on mule deer and the 25-06 on smaller game like Coues deer. Don't know your distance needs there, but out west the shot distances are usually quite a reach. Once the cost of brass is absorbed the difference in loading the two is negligible. Weigh your options and get what you will be happy with. Good luck

I've owned several 25-06's as well as a couple 25 cal. wildcats that exceeded 257 Weatherby performance. If you have the money and really think you need the performance then get the 257. If it's choice in rifles or cheaper ammo you want then don't be afraid to get the 25-06. It's got plenty of knockdown power for mule deer sized game out to 600 yards or so with the right bullet. (I use 115 Berger VLD's in mine) The majority of the deer I've seen shot with a 25-06 never took a step. The ones shot with even faster 25's never took a step either though. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.