Best extreme long range cal ?

wow a 375CT and 375AM, LR3 you are a lucky guy.... wish i could afford to shoot either of those beasts. Im currently designing a .338 that launches a 250grain bulet at 3000fps using brass that costs under a dollar a piece. A really economical .338. Building it so i can take deer out to nearly a mile and elk to 1250.

I'm not an opinion type guy....I like the facts....If you're only talking 600 yards, most any 30 cal gun will do fine...Just look for something you can shoot well...If your max distance is 600 yards, don't let folks talk you into any huge calibers. The fact is, that there are many smaller calibers that will fit your application.

On the other hand, if you want to reach out and touch something at say 700 yards plus, I would take a serious look at the 338 edge. The Allen mag is over- kill, but the edge is perfect for long range.

Last summer I let my boys shoot my edge. They all hit the target (with me calling the wind). Even the two 9 year olds hit the mark at 1,000 yards. My 14 year old dropped his first bull elk this year at 940 yards. The edge is great for these kinds of distances.

chow

Thanks for your comments mate.

Not sure you saw the start of the thread but most guys know I already shoot the DE 338 edge /smk combo and it is a great calibre. My complaint is not in the calibre but more what the pill will do past 1000 with shots not on the shoulder blade.

I may not do anything but seeing if a CT round will give a sizable increase in the type of carnage I am looking for beyond 1000.

DUH

Was just researching calibers that give tou serious knockdown power.

Two things came to mins:
1. Serious: the problem is bullet selection more than caliber, the edge is very capable aslong you use the right bullet, you could get a boutique bullet maker to make you exactly what you want, rather than having entire another rifle built.

2. Not-so-serious: have you looked at the 950 JDJ? Shoots a 3300grain pill (over half a pound) at something like 2800fps or faster. About 40000ft/lbs of energy :D it's a necked down 20mm Vulcan casing gun)

DUH,
Just a thought (again).

I might load up a few light loads at reduced velocity and fire them out of my .338WM.

The idea is to simulate Sambar deer chest shots, with the Edge, past 1000 yards. I could then compare some of the other available .338 calibre projectiles and see if any of them expand better than the 300 grain SMK at low velocity and long range?

Would have to work out a different impact velocity for each pill based on its B.C. to simulate past 1000 yard conditions. Then fire them at the desired reduced velocity at my 440 yards range into a suitable medium.

You are welcome to come down and see how thing go if you would like to help out.

Question 1.............Anyone got any good reduced load data for 225 gn and 250 gn bullets for a .338WM. Thinking of Hornady SST's and Nosler AB's Sierra Gameking etc Other sugestions welcome.

Question 2............Anyone think of a suitable medium for testing .338 calibre bullets that would simulate a chest shot at long range? Need to collect the spent bullets so that we can compare them.

Not my area of expertise and probably expensive but would ballistics gelatin work?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts