Best affordable built rifle??

OCHO505

I really want to build a gun... But don't rifle hunt enough to really justify it, but than again maybe I am wasting money on sub par box rifles..

So can someone recommend a rifle available OTC or built that is head over hills potentially over others?

I am not saying like a $700 or $1000 gun but maybe $2500 ish... If not I may try to task ordering an action, barrel and a stock. But I would prefer to get pre built or a nice gun already ready minus a scope.

I know this may have been asked, sorry. Or would the majority say build one from best pieces?

Obviously would love a gunworks, or red rock or any of those ridiculous shooters but $8k is a bit for me!

I built my own over this past summer. I bought a savage model 12 in 22-250, i replaced the stock with a HS precision M24 and I bought a Criterion Savage prefit in 6.5 Creedmoor varmint contour 26 in. that I ordered from Jim at NSS. With the purchase of the 22-250, stock, barrel, and the tools to do it myself i built this rifle for around 1200. This thing shoots lights out!

As of now I am considering the Remington 700 LR or the Sendero. I'm actually thinking of going with the LR and with the money I save getting a Bartlein Barrel and Timney 510 Of course I would get it blue printed as well.

The 700 LR is $700 and Sendero is $1100 already comes with a bedded HS Stock too.

I would second the Cooper. I have owned one for 6 years and know of several others that own them as well. I have taken a few dozen animals between 500 and 1200 yards with mine in 6.5x284. The basic rifle is exceptionally accurate with a blue printed barreled action, well bedded, with an excellent trigger. Entry starts at around $2000 and can be optioned as desired.

I have a savage in that caliber and really like it! I heard from a few close friends they aren't what the used to be the Cooper Rifles that's is so kind of scared me away from them. But some of these guys own $5k guns so it's hard to say if anything non full custom are comparable.

Thanks for the input!

I have a savage in that caliber and really like it! I heard from a few close friends they aren't what the used to be the Cooper Rifles that's is so kind of scared me away from them. But some of these guys own $5k guns so it's hard to say if anything non full custom are comparable.

Thanks for the input!

I have heard that as well but can't seem to get any specifics.
A buddy of mine just took delivery of a new Cooper 52 with a Jackson Hunter stock in 6.5x284. After a short break in and zeroing at 200 yards, with HSM 140gr Berger loads, he was consistently hitting softball sized targets at 800 yards. As to build quality, it doesn't appear to be much different from mine.

I will continue to echo the Cooper recommendation. I have a 7mm rem mag model 52 Excalibur that will hold .5 moa out to 600 yards (farthest I can shoot within 6 hour drive). I got a custom stock color from Cooper so it feels even a little more custom while still under then $3k mark. If you shoot a lot, their re-barreling program is pretty attractive incentive

Christensen arms out of utah makes good rifles in your price range. You can try looking them up if you like carbon fiber

Christensen arms out of utah makes good rifles in your price range. You can try looking them up if you like carbon fiber

I have to admit, the ones I've seen in my LGS are pretty slick except for the radial brake installed but that's an easy fix.

I really want to build a gun... But don't rifle hunt enough to really justify it, but than again maybe I am wasting money on sub par box rifles..

So can someone recommend a rifle available OTC or built that is head over hills potentially over others?

I am not saying like a $700 or $1000 gun but maybe $2500 ish... If not I may try to task ordering an action, barrel and a stock. But I would prefer to get pre built or a nice gun already ready minus a scope.

I know this may have been asked, sorry. Or would the majority say build one from best pieces?

Obviously would love a gunworks, or red rock or any of those ridiculous shooters but $8k is a bit for me!

For your consideration >>> Build Your E.R. Shaw Mk. VII Rifle

Check out RedHawks or HS Precision.Check out the classifieds here for some great deals.Bought the HS here for less then $ 2k and it is a shooter.Picked up the RedHawks on gunbroker and slid it in a Mcmillian Edge for less then $1,500 total an cuts one hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.