Newbie needs factory rifle ?

Code4

After five years away from shooting I'm looking for suggestions on a factory rifle and a scope to 'begin learning about long range shooting'.
History: been hunting solo for 47 years. Done Europe, Africa, NZ and home here in Australia. Bad right shoulder, right knee locks up going down hill (standing in a tank turret does that to you), wear glasses and have nerve damage in my right hand.
Have had great results with a Rem 700 264WM and 140 Woodleigh on game in the past. (Now sold).

1) Am acquiring the knowledge to improve my precision reloading and equipment.
2) Need a Factory rifle to get the basics down before investing more heavily.
3) Avoiding recoil where possible.
4) Want to consistently kill to 300 metres and hit steel out to 600 metres before upgrading.

Budget US2,500

Calibres 6.5CM, 6.5 PRC, .260 Rem,, 6.5x55 or even .308.

a) Looking at the factory Ruger Hawkey Long Range Target 26" barrel or a
b) Howa 26'' #6 barreled action and some kind of varmint/target stock.

Shooting will be mostly prone, occasionally off a bench and from a truck with window rest. Game from Fallow deer to Feral Camels in the outback (600kg).

Suggestions and any help appreciated ?

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmoor would fit but, I feel 7mm-08 a better killer in low recoil rifles.

As far as the rifle goes, Ruger American Predator rifle! I now have 7 in various chamberings. Most are right-hand actions but, some are left-hand. All shoot most quality factory ammunition sub-MOA but, shoot substantially better with handloads and a little load development. Here in the USA, they can be had for under $450.00USD. The Predator versions that come with the AI style magazines actually take Accuracy International magazines. Another plus of the Predator versions is that the Predators come with a little heavier 5/8x24 TPI threaded barrel and a Picatinny rail.

I have many rifles from various manufacturers, in a multitude of chamberings. Many have custom barrels, stocks, triggers, etc. Very few under $2,500.00USD will out shoot the Ruger American Predator rifles! Even some of my over $2,500 guns won't shoot as well as a few of them.

You will not be disappointed with this rifle. I have a LH 223 Rem, a 243 Win, a 6mm Creedmoor, two RH 6.5 Creedmoors (one is the -Go Wild- version), a LH 6.5 Creedmoor and a 30-06 in the -Go Wild- version. I plan on buying more. The next being a 7mm-08 Rem!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.