Best dawn/dusk low light deer scope

Yes, I stopped taking "Top 10" lists seriously a long time ago. Working and having friends and family in the industry gives you a dose of reality, and a clear understanding of a company's marketing budget.....and exactly how these top 10 lists are compiled.
I've been an optics nut for a long time and I have spent a lot of time evaluating optics....not only by looking through them, but also looking into them....into the company and it's process from design through build and all the way to the retail shelf. I've learned enough to make my choices after determining what suits my eyes best.
I'd be hard pressed to choose any scope made in the Pacific Rim over Germany, Austria, or the Czech Republic. Optically the European glass is easier on my eyes, but the process and mindset is the biggest issue....the one comparison that comes to mind is "sizzle versus steak".
Just so I don't get an envelope of anthrax in the mail, I do wanna give a shout out to Nightforce and their loyalists. Made in America, and in my best judgement a 10/10 for quality, durability and reliability. The glass is well above average, except for the Atacr, which is exceptional. I would own one in a heartbeat if they offered my preferred reticle, and could figure out a way to drop some weight.
^^^This!^^^

Well I just had the opportunity to shoot a buddies new FFP tactical 30mm tube 4-16 power scope.
This was not a $1000+ rig but still a pretty chunk of change. Lets just say I am dang glad I splurged
on the Meopta. LOL

Once you got above about 10-12 power she got really cramped on the eyebox and at full 16 power it was super tough to
keep it in line to even see through it. Clarity was...lets just say it was AWOL at the higher powers. I did like the recticle but I am not sure he even knows he bought an FFP yet.(I need to talk to him) I do see how all the subtensions for hold over will be awesome. He is mainly looking at 400yards and under. I have no clue what I can get his rifle to do with handloads. Might be surprised that he may get 600.....if we get lucky!

This is the first FFP I have looked through and this is going to be his out west hunting rig. Almost like there aren't any recticles until you get up into higher magnification. Of course my eyes are crap, but dang they are super fine. Hope he doesn't miss opportunities due to lower light conditions.

Is FFP a really bad choice for hunting?

I think you would be very hard pressed to do better than a Swarovski Z3 3.5-10 or 4-12. You can get a simple plex reticle and you can get a ballistic reticle if desired. It isn't good for dialing but the weight, clarity and light transmission will be hard to impossible to beat at its price point.

Late comer but wanted to mention that Midway USA has decent prices on two Leupold scopes.

They also have the Mark 4 4.5-14x50 LR/T scope for $700.

I just put one of these on my .223 varmint rifle. I think this one has a slight edge in brightness but both scopes have better light resolution than my old eyes can detect.
I can vouch for the Mark 4 4.5-14x50. We have 2 of them, and they are very bright. For $700 that's what I would do; and I just got 2 VX 5HDs. Oops, saw you already got the Meopta; you will love it.

As I get older(pigment dispersion glaucoma and floaters) I really lack in dusk and dawn vision when compared to what I had when I was younger.

So have any of you had the opportunity to compare 3x9, 3x10, 3x12, 3x15, 3x18 etc scopes side by side in low light?

I saw a video on youtube where they guys were saying that the VX 3 and VX 6 Leupold had the same clarity the VX 6 just had a lot of other perks to get it to the price it was at.

I saw a Vortex Hog scope 56mm, but some said their "old" Leupolds were much better in low light.

From what searching I have done the VX 6 3x18 looks awesome but the priceo_O

This is not going to be an ELR scope, but more of a 0-400(0-200 mainly) whitetail scope.
Any first hand preferences on great dusk and dawn scope?
Something from Thermatron.

I think you need to decide on how much magnification you really need/want. Higher does not help when the sun goes down. Also whether you want to need or want an illuminated scope, which can help. Check whether the brightness level is adjustable. Set a budget for yourself and go shopping... Unfortunately you can't really test twilight performance at the store.

A guy at the range uses this Leupold for coyotes around here. I've used it at the range and it is pretty nice, but it was not in a dusk and dawn situation. I am considering getting one for myself.

This S&B looks good in my book, but I have not used one...

I think you need to decide on how much magnification you really need/want. Higher does not help when the sun goes down. Also whether you want to need or want an illuminated scope, which can help. Check whether the brightness level is adjustable. Set a budget for yourself and go shopping... Unfortunately you can't really test twilight performance at the store.

A guy at the range uses this Leupold for coyotes around here. I've used it at the range and it is pretty nice, but it was not in a dusk and dawn situation. I am considering getting one for myself.

This S&B looks good in my book, but I have not used one...
Something from Thermatron.
I googled Thermatron and didn't come up with anything.
I did bite the bullet and bought a Meopta R2 2.5-15x56 RD PA. So far I am loving it. Very clear and it holds clarity well past legal shooting light even at high powers. Like I could still see some pretty good detail on my cattle at 125 yards on 15 power an hour after sunset. (30 minutes after legal time here)

Thanks for the inputs!!!!

I spoke to my Optometrist about scopes and he said what I expected him to say.
You can buy a 3500.00 S&B scope at 20 years old but when you get 50 years old there is a possibility you will find it not as clear as it used to be and the cause is not the scope!
Our eyes has a protective covering and as we age that covering thickens to the point that we have to have the covering surgery to reshape the covering having it thinned.
For that reason I will never pay 3500.00 for a scope that I will only enjoy as long as my eyes will allow.
I have a Leupold vari x lll 1.75-6 x32 that I could hunt at night with.It's that clear at low light.
That scope sits on top of a Browning BLR(Steel Receiver) in 358 win and has taken many hogs,deer,mule deer and a couple of black bears at magic time!
Just my opinion

I did bite the bullet and bought a Meopta R2 2.5-15x56 RD PA. So far I am loving it. Very clear and it holds clarity well past legal shooting light even at high powers. Like I could still see some pretty good detail on my cattle at 125 yards on 15 power an hour after sunset. (30 minutes after legal time here)

My bad.

My bad. I actually meant ATN. TICO clip on. Thermatron made the high frequency sealing machines we used. You just saw a very senior moment. I was trying to be tongue in cheekie. I've given up trying to see thru anything but thermal after hours.

My bad.

My bad. I actually meant ATN. TICO clip on. Thermatron made the high frequency sealing machines we used. You just saw a very senior moment. I was trying to be tongue in cheekie. I've given up trying to see thru anything but thermal after hours.
Yea for senior moments as it makes the rest of us feel NORMAL!
I thought maybe you meant Thermion. LOL
They look awesome!!! Way out of budget.

Yes this scope is just for deer hunting. Legal hours. We saw about 30 deer the other evening in a 25 mile trip from one of our farms to the next. I saw ZERO bucks. My twelve year old saw about 8 or 9 of them. Some of them were 600 yards feeding in bean fields with a dark background. I just wanted to get a scope that would give more than the 9 or 10 power I have had and have better light transmission than my 35 year old scopes.

I needed the best I could get just to be on the same level as my 12 year old without a scope. My wife's family has unreal day and night vision. It appears my 12 year old got those genes.

Recent Posts