Best dawn/dusk low light deer scope

bluedog69

As I get older(pigment dispersion glaucoma and floaters) I really lack in dusk and dawn vision when compared to what I had when I was younger.

So have any of you had the opportunity to compare 3x9, 3x10, 3x12, 3x15, 3x18 etc scopes side by side in low light?

I saw a video on youtube where they guys were saying that the VX 3 and VX 6 Leupold had the same clarity the VX 6 just had a lot of other perks to get it to the price it was at.

I saw a Vortex Hog scope 56mm, but some said their "old" Leupolds were much better in low light.

From what searching I have done the VX 6 3x18 looks awesome but the priceo_O

This is not going to be an ELR scope, but more of a 0-400(0-200 mainly) whitetail scope.
Any first hand preferences on great dusk and dawn scope?

If your not looking for a LR scope with all the extra features that come with it, that will get you better glass for the money. And no, the vx3 is not the same clarity as the vx6, the vx5 isn't as good as the vx6 either.

The simple answer will be something along the lines of "the most expensive one you can afford", but I know as well as the next guy that not everyone can get alpha grade glass. A better way to get more useful suggestions, is to name your budget, and any requirements you have. If your budget is $1200, and you only need a 3-9x type optic, you can get some dang good glass. If your budget is $500, and you want at least 18x, side adjustable parallax, ffp and illuminated reticle, that vastly changes things!

For hunting 0-400, I would assume anything 12x or so + or -, and if the vx6hd is at the top of your budget, maybe over, that gives an idea.

Is illumination a requirement? Will a bdc reticle suffice or do you need to be able to dial? A little more detail, and we can help ya get the best bang for your buck!

I have some Leupold VX3's, VX2's, VX freedom, and Mark ARs in the mid to low price range depending on the model; the VX3's are pretty great. I have a Swarovski and Zeiss Victory that are exceptional but in another price range. For the lower end price range with very good glass I have an older Brunton and Nikon Monarch.

If you can find the older Japanese made 2.5-10x56 Nikon Monarch UCC they are pretty dang good. Mine must be 20 yo, and it has a simple duplex, no clutter. Also a great low light option
If you want a good affordable non Chinese made Scope look at the Meopta optica 6 scopes over 90 percent light transmisson top notch glass turrets zerolock zero stop the skys the limit Checklosovokian made european glass for around 800 bucks cant beat em

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Yes for now this a "simple" deer scope. But life is short and I try to research as much as possible.
Down the road I might get a LR dialing scope. That VX6 caught my eye.... the 3x18 part as much as anything. 3X for low light, 18 would beat the crap out of 9! for distance.

Dawn and dusk brightness is the main focus.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Yes for now this a "simple" deer scope. But life is short and I try to research as much as possible.
Down the road I might get a LR dialing scope. That VX6 caught my eye.... the 3x18 part as much as anything. 3X for low light, 18 would beat the crap out of 9! for distance.

Dawn and dusk brightness is the main focus.
The 3-18 meopro optica 6 with zero stop and zero lock elevation turret and capped windage with the Diachro reticle 1st focal plane moa might be what your looking for

Maybe a used 3-9 2-10 Lieca, Swarovski, Zeiss. Not dialing, personally I'd go that route.
Like this? Nikon and Leupold are about all I have dealt with....other than junk. LOL

Like this? Nikon and Leupold are about all I have dealt with....other than junk. LOL

Meopta used too make the z

Meopta made the zeiss conquest for zeiss and zeiss put their name on it is what I've heard Meopta makes fine scopes

Yup, or a Lieca ER or older Swarovski. I have owned zeiss and lieca. Currently have a 2-10 lieca er on a deer rig not used for LR. Really nice little scope, paid 600 for it on the LRH classifieds. Owned an older conquest, great scope for the money. If your going to drop VX6 money and like Leupold. I'd take a hard look at the Mark5hd as well. Fantastic scopes. Just my opinion. All you'd need if you decide to start stretching it out.