Best dawn/dusk low light deer scope

The 3-18 meopro optica 6 with zero stop and zero lock elevation turret and capped windage with the Diachro reticle 1st focal plane moa might be what your looking for
So SFP is old school tradtional crosshairs stay same and target gets bigger?
FFP is where reticle and target stay in same relationship?

I am pretty new to this SFP and FFP stuff. I do like the looks of these scopes. Top end Leupolds used to be $700 ish last time I really looked.
These Meo's look great. Never heard of them.

I would rather cringe and spend $700-$800 than spend $350 and wish I had bought more. (light transmission/clarity especially)

Anybody else have experience with these scopes? Do 13 clicks move the bullet 13 clicks?

I have an older Leupold VX iii 3x9. The clarity and light amazes me. What's nice, it is light.
Compare it to a Sightron S III that I have, and the VX iii is a much brighter scope.
My bro has a VX3i on his Tikka. IMO, it's much nicer. Clearer glass, better light gathering at dusk.
The above three scopes are all light.

Other scopes I have (old), Leupold VX7L or Mark 4 - I can read license plates in the dark on cars I can barely see.

Last edited:
So SFP is old school tradtional crosshairs stay same and target gets bigger?
FFP is where reticle and target stay in same relationship?

I am pretty new to this SFP and FFP stuff. I do like the looks of these scopes. Top end Leupolds used to be $700 ish last time I really looked.
These Meo's look great. Never heard of them.

I would rather cringe and spend $700-$800 than spend $350 and wish I had bought more. (light transmission/clarity especially)

Anybody else have experience with these scopes? Do 13 clicks move the bullet 13 clicks?
Meopta optica 6 comes in 1st or second focal plane one click would be 1-4 moa instead of 1-4 in the are calibrated in true moa you can also get them in mils

Meopta optica 6 comes in 1st or second focal plane one click would be 1-4 moa instead of 1-4 in the are calibrated in true moa you can also get them in mils
So you are saying 1/4" clicks at 100 yards? or 1/4 true MOA at 100. I think you are saying true 1/4 MOA clicks.(real close to 1/4" at 100)

I was just meaning quality of adjustment. I like to be able to take a shot and move the bullet almost perfect the first time. As in 4 clicks moves it roughly an inch, not maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. Or maybe 5 clicks moves it 2" instead of 1.25".

So you are saying 1/4" clicks at 100 yards? or 1/4 true MOA at 100. I think you are saying true 1/4 MOA clicks.(real close to 1/4" at 100)

I was just meaning quality of adjustment. I like to be able to take a shot and move the bullet almost perfect the first time. As in 4 clicks moves it roughly an inch, not maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. Or maybe 5 clicks moves it 2" instead of 1.25".
One moa is 1.047 in so yes 4 clicks 1.047 in at a 100 yds

Check ot the reviews on Meopta scopes they hold their own way above their pay grade probally double if not more for the price they track well and the European glass is up there with the best a lot of features my favorite hunting scope is the 3x18 x50 1st focal plans capped windage exposed elevation with the zero stop and lock with the diacro ret kind of a lumminated dot in center very easy too see at dawn and dusk do your research dont take my word they are worth checking out

Check ot the reviews on Meopta scopes they hold their own way above their pay grade probally double if not more for the price they track well and the European glass is up there with the best a lot of features my favorite hunting scope is the 3x18 x50 1st focal plans capped windage exposed elevation with the zero stop and lock with the diacro ret kind of a lumminated dot in center very easy too see at dawn and dusk do your research dont take my word they are worth checking out
Thanks for all of the awesome advice!!
I am open to learning. Never had a FFP but
Might just have to try one.
I had never been around CZs either. Was persuaded to try one. Bought my 9 year old a 22 hornet and my 12 year old a 17 hornet. The 9 year old shot a .6" group at 200 yards. The 12 year old a .8" group at 200. Couldn't be more impressed!!!!!
So yes I am open to new brands.

First- the VX5HD and VX6HD have exactly the same glass and coatings.

I have a Meopta Optika6 and a Leupold VX6HD, both are 3-18x50 illuminated. The Leupold glass is ever so slightly clearer right at the periphery. That difference was only noticeable when comparing them side-by-side. In ordinary hunting situations, there isn't a real world difference and for the money, the Meopta punches way outside its kick coverage.

I bought both of these at the same time and offered my 17 year old son his choice. He knows Leupolds but didn't have any preconceived opinions on the Meopta. He picked the Meopta after careful consideration. It has performed flawlessly. I inherited a BAR in .243 a few months ago. It will be getting a 44mm Optika6 when I find the right one.

First- the VX5HD and VX6HD have exactly the same glass and coatings.

I have a Meopta Optika6 and a Leupold VX6HD, both are 3-18x50 illuminated. The Leupold glass is ever so slightly clearer right at the periphery. That difference was only noticeable when comparing them side-by-side. In ordinary hunting situations, there isn't a real world difference and for the money, the Meopta punches way outside its kick coverage.

I bought both of these at the same time and offered my 17 year old son his choice. He knows Leupolds but didn't have any preconceived opinions on the Meopta. He picked the Meopta after careful consideration. It has performed flawlessly. I inherited a BAR in .243 a few months ago. It will be getting a 44mm Optika6 when I find the right one.
Thanks a bunch. That's a great comparison right there!

As a card carrying member of optics anonymous I can tell you that great optics can make a world of difference in the first and last few minutes of shooting light.
Your budget completely dictates any suggestions. All the glass I'll list I own myself and have chosen them based on my budget at the time. I have more scopes than rifles as I've upgraded to higher magnifications when I was able to afford to. If my budget was:
$1000–I'd look for a used or demo Leica ER-I or a Meopta Meostar. I have a Leica in 2-10x42. Just as clear and bright as other way costlier models and outperforms them all if the sun is glaring. Great eye box and edge distortion is non existent. Has an illuminated reticle and hash marks....honestly if your max range is 400, most deer calibers won't require much dialing at that range. Zero at 200 and hold a little high with a hash...
The Meopta is the best $1200 scope I've ever used. Glass is great, eye box is great, light weight, illuminated reticle and hashes....fine European glass that the shops in the Pacific Rim cannot come close to.
$2000- again I'd look for a demo and save enough (off retail) to get yourself into a better class of glass. Swaro z6i can be found at that price....I bought mine used, and great glass doesn't wear out. You can also get into the Leica Magnus mid magnification (2-12x). EuroOptics had several of these models marked down recently.
$3000- S&B Exos or Polar.....they are built like a Nightforce, but have the clarity and light transmission of a Swaro Z8i. They are a smidge heavy, but not as heavy as a NF. I found both as shot show demos, and they are so similar, I'm not sure why the company made them both. Either one will blow u away.
The other hi end option is the Swaro Z8i. Clearest and brightest scope I have, and light enough to use on any sort of Mtn Rifle. Doesn't have the tactical, built like a brick $h!thouse appearance of some others but man is it impressive to use.
I hope my comments help you choose. And good luck.

As a card carrying member of optics anonymous I can tell you that great optics can make a world of difference in the first and last few minutes of shooting light.
Your budget completely dictates any suggestions. All the glass I'll list I own myself and have chosen them based on my budget at the time. I have more scopes than rifles as I've upgraded to higher magnifications when I was able to afford to. If my budget was:
$1000–I'd look for a used or demo Leica ER-I or a Meopta Meostar. I have a Leica in 2-10x42. Just as clear and bright as other way costlier models and outperforms them all if the sun is glaring. Great eye box and edge distortion is non existent. Has an illuminated reticle and hash marks....honestly if your max range is 400, most deer calibers won't require much dialing at that range. Zero at 200 and hold a little high with a hash...
The Meopta is the best $1200 scope I've ever used. Glass is great, eye box is great, light weight, illuminated reticle and hashes....fine European glass that the shops in the Pacific Rim cannot come close to.
$2000- again I'd look for a demo and save enough (off retail) to get yourself into a better class of glass. Swaro z6i can be found at that price....I bought mine used, and great glass doesn't wear out. You can also get into the Leica Magnus mid magnification (2-12x). EuroOptics had several of these models marked down recently.
$3000- S&B Exos or Polar.....they are built like a Nightforce, but have the clarity and light transmission of a Swaro Z8i. They are a smidge heavy, but not as heavy as a NF. I found both as shot show demos, and they are so similar, I'm not sure why the company made them both. Either one will blow u away.
The other hi end option is the Swaro Z8i. Clearest and brightest scope I have, and light enough to use on any sort of Mtn Rifle. Doesn't have the tactical, built like a brick $h!thouse appearance of some others but man is it impressive to use.
I hope my comments help you choose. And good luck.
Thanks for all of that info!!! Appreciate it!!! Appreciate the time it took you to type it out.
I am used to getting, "Nikon sucks go Leupold!" kind of responses on most forums.

I have shot a lot in my lifetime on limited budget. My 7 mag sighted 3" high at 175 puts it 3" low at about 325. Raised 6 kids on next to nothing. Lived on deer chili, deer spaghetti, and deer tacos for most of my life. I have a Leupold 3 x 9 from about 1980. I replaced it with a Simmons 44 mag 3x10 back in the late 80's. I have always put my wife and kids first on the "getting new rifles and scopes list". My wife, 4 girls, and now my 2 boys 9 and 12 can all shoot, gut, skin, debone, grind and package their deer. You shoot it you get to help in the work after the fun is over.

So long story short I may splurge on an "awesome" scope for the first time in my life. Your post is making me want to "go all out."

Meopta has their Optika5 and Optika6 line where both are great values for the money. Great Schott glass with reasonable prices. Both can be had with FFP or SFP options. Low light options would include their Optika5 4-20x50 and their Optika6 3-18x56. The Optika5 line is a 1" tube and capped turrets where the Optika6 line is 30mm tube with different turret options. I have both and think they are hard to beat for a balance between great glass and price. Sport Optics (no affiliation just a satisfied customer) has good prices on the Meopta scopes and run sales regularly. The 4-20x50 runs in the mid to high $400 range and the 3-18x56 is $650-$700 depending on options. They are not the lightest scope around but I have used Meopta for years and have had very good reliability out of mine. Just another option to add to your evaluation list. I too have tired old eyes and these compare favorably to my Zeiss HD5 and V4 scopes. Not as good as my Schmidt Bender 8x56 or Zeiss V6 but these two are in a totally different price range.

Recent Posts