Best dawn/dusk low light deer scope

As I get older(pigment dispersion glaucoma and floaters) I really lack in dusk and dawn vision when compared to what I had when I was younger.

So have any of you had the opportunity to compare 3x9, 3x10, 3x12, 3x15, 3x18 etc scopes side by side in low light?

I saw a video on youtube where they guys were saying that the VX 3 and VX 6 Leupold had the same clarity the VX 6 just had a lot of other perks to get it to the price it was at.

I saw a Vortex Hog scope 56mm, but some said their "old" Leupolds were much better in low light.

From what searching I have done the VX 6 3x18 looks awesome but the priceo_O

This is not going to be an ELR scope, but more of a 0-400(0-200 mainly) whitetail scope.
Any first hand preferences on great dusk and dawn scope?

I read an article several years ago that really opened the blinds so to speak on optics. Most of your gun store folks have no clue about optics and that translates all the falsehoods to the customer. After reading the article I actually tried what they were writing about and even agree with them. But two of the best scopes on the market were the Leupold VX6 3-18x44 being the best optically aligned scope, 2nd choice is the Vortex 2.5-10x32 PST. The Vortex actually does not Pixelate in low light, for me the Vortex was a more affordable scope and I run 4 of them now. So a few things to mention about scopes;
Scopes do not gather light, having a objective larger than 50mm with less than 20 as a high power is useless.
Scopes are do two things when light enters, breaks up into primary colors and bends light.
Scopes are actually rated based on the speed of the scope.
And the exit pupil is very important, the latter the exit pupil the easier it is to look through the scope, and the more light available to your eye.
The article I am referring to was in Sniper Magazine years ago and was called "0pening Pandora's Box" I believe.

Sounds like a "Deer Gun" scope to me 3-9 or 3-10 x 40 or 50. My 270 sports a fairly new VX3i 3.5-10 x 40 and my 30-06 has a Swarovski Z3 3-10 x 42. You would be hard pressed to get much more low light quality especially for the money. Both will carry me easily to legal shooting light but the edge for clarity in low light definitely goes to the Swarovski but as much as you might think. I did not like my VX3i 4-12 x 40, exit pupil or something it just had no where near the light of the 3.5-10. I really like the Zeiss conquest like but the glass to me has a green cast to my eyes that hurts low light, Leupolds seem a touch yellow, Swarovski looks true to color. I've heard great things about Meopta but I have only looked at them in stores but I would be interest in the Meostar R2 1.7-10 for hunting your describing.
If 400yards is max and 200yards is more likely expected I'm not sure you're getting anything other than more price, weight, and mechanics with magnification over 12.
Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with a 4-A (German) reticle. All you would ever need for a "woods" rifle. Just my humble opinion.

I read an article several years ago that really opened the blinds so to speak on optics. Most of your gun store folks have no clue about optics and that translates all the falsehoods to the customer. After reading the article I actually tried what they were writing about and even agree with them. But two of the best scopes on the market were the Leupold VX6 3-18x44 being the best optically aligned scope, 2nd choice is the Vortex 2.5-10x32 PST. The Vortex actually does not Pixelate in low light, for me the Vortex was a more affordable scope and I run 4 of them now. So a few things to mention about scopes;
Scopes do not gather light, having a objective larger than 50mm with less than 20 as a high power is useless.
Scopes are do two things when light enters, breaks up into primary colors and bends light.
Scopes are actually rated based on the speed of the scope.
And the exit pupil is very important, the latter the exit pupil the easier it is to look through the scope, and the more light available to your eye.
The article I am referring to was in Sniper Magazine years ago and was called "0pening Pandora's Box" I believe.

I was going to reply to OP ... get a bigger objective lens and best maximum magnification. Personal experience, not science, for me has been big objective lens + 3-18/4-24/5-30/etc. and 30mm tubes are better than 1" tubes when it comes to low light performance. For my old eyes, light transmission and clarity are paramount in low-light conditions.

I personally don't see the point in spending VX6HD or higher money for a 500 yard max range whitetail setup. For your concerns for that application, the best I have owned are $750 or less : VX5HD 3-15x44, VX6 3-18x44, Bushnell elite 4200 4-16x50 and a Trijicon AccuPower 4-16x50. I wasn't very happy with a Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x500 or 4-16x44 Vortex HS and sold them both. My 4.5-14x50 VX-3 is ok but not as good as my others.

"So I did a little searching again. Is the Meostar going to be that much better than the Optika6? 2 to 3 times price?"
I have not owned the Meostar from Meopta so I did not recommend it and I knew it was much more expensive.
"Do you two have FFP or SFP for hunting? Dichrotech? or illuminated?"
I only have their illuminated and non-illuminated scopes. I prefer the illuminated personally and all are SFP scopes.

Hope this helps,

As I get older(pigment dispersion glaucoma and floaters) I really lack in dusk and dawn vision when compared to what I had when I was younger.

So have any of you had the opportunity to compare 3x9, 3x10, 3x12, 3x15, 3x18 etc scopes side by side in low light?

I saw a video on youtube where they guys were saying that the VX 3 and VX 6 Leupold had the same clarity the VX 6 just had a lot of other perks to get it to the price it was at.

I saw a Vortex Hog scope 56mm, but some said their "old" Leupolds were much better in low light.

This is not going to be an ELR scope, but more of a 0-400(0-200 mainly) whitetail scope.
Any first hand preferences on great dusk and dawn scope?Last fall, I bought and mounted three new scopes on my deer rifles: A Leupold VX-4. 3/5-10

Any first hand preferences on great dusk and dawn scope?
I'm 76 and my eyes aren't what they used to be. So last fall, I bought and mounted three new scopes on my deer rifles: a Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10x40, a Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10x50, and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. I looked through each scope at first and last light over several days looking at objects in a meadow and in the edge of the woods. The Zeiss "may" have given me a slightly sharper image, but all three were within seconds of each other - not minutes - in resolving objects in marginal light. Since my deer rifles are built more along mountain rifle specs rather than bipod/rest specs; I found the 50mm objective less desirable than the two 40mm scopes. For those of you with 10+ pound rifles, the 50mm would feel just fine. -Ed

You're getting batted from one side to the other. Just when you think you're mind is made up, someone comes along with another angle. The beauty of these forums. :) Comparisons can be a bit subjective to individual perceptions and, like it or not, ingrained biases. I like my VX6-HD but would not call it as bright as the MeoStar 3-12x56 RGD R1r (30mm tube) that we have. It's specifically setup for "night" hunting. The color contrast is remarkable for this class of scope and you would be amazed at what you can see in the "dark" with this thing. We have literally hunted nocturnals in the moonlight with it. Check out the label on the scope pic showing light transmission. The rifle it's on (Fierce 6.5 CM) is getting sold so we may even be interested in selling the scope. Now you'll think I'm biased for sure. ;)

Attachments

• 8C495DD3-98D5-43FD-BC0B-90145708F622.jpeg
    8C495DD3-98D5-43FD-BC0B-90145708F622.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 11818495-B766-4CAD-86F3-3E149F056B6D.jpeg
    11818495-B766-4CAD-86F3-3E149F056B6D.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 128
Thanks for all of the awesome advice!!
I am open to learning. Never had a FFP but
Might just have to try one.
I had never been around CZs either. Was persuaded to try one. Bought my 9 year old a 22 hornet and my 12 year old a 17 hornet. The 9 year old shot a .6" group at 200 yards. The 12 year old a .8" group at 200. Couldn't be more impressed!!!!!
So yes I am open to new brands.
[/QUOT
You're getting batted from one side to the other. Just when you think you're mind is made up, someone comes along with another angle. The beauty of these forums. :) Comparisons can be a bit subjective to individual perceptions and, like it or not, ingrained biases. I like my VX6-HD but would not call it as bright as the MeoStar 3-12x56 RGD R1r (30mm tube) that we have. It's specifically setup for "night" hunting. The color contrast is remarkable for this class of scope and you would be amazed at what you can see in the "dark" with this thing. We have literally hunted nocturnals in the moonlight with it. Check out the label on the scope pic showing light transmission. The rifle it's on (Fierce 6.5 CM) is getting sold so we may even be interested in selling the scope. Now you'll think I'm biased for sure. ;)
Blue dog I'm making one more post here hope this might help been keeping up with all the other post from what I've concluded you want a good all around scope for hunting that tracks well that dosnt break the bank and is better than the average 3 or 4 hundred dollar scope my personal preference would be the 3x18 x50 Meopta optica 6 for your needs I think the 2.5 x15 x44 BDC reticle Meopta Optica6 might be your best choice 549 dollars in the second focalplane thats probably what your used too the reticle will stay the same throught the magnification range all these choices can get confusing good luck hope that helps

I'm considering posting both my Leica ER-i and Meopta Meostar for sale. They are both sitting idle and I really want to build a .30 cal something. The meopta is new in the box, and the Leica is perfect except for faint ring marks. I've busted my rifle budget for the time being and, if I build a .300 mag of any variety, I'll need more than a 2-10 or 2-12 mag range.
i will say that for low light and older eyes, a single illuminated center dot has been my saving grace. Both of these scopes have a great center dot illumination....ive looked through others where the glare from the red dot obscures the clarity around it. These are very crisp and well defined. All of my scopes have the single center dot and I use it in the middle of the day just like I would at dawn and dusk.
Anyway, I found both of these as demos and saved a good bit....I'd let either or both go for a good number. I don't even mind taking a little loss if it gets me to my next project.
If anyone is interested please speak up...otherwise I'll likely list for sale or trade for a carbon barrel, nice action, or barreled action.
For the record, the Meopta can be fitted with a custom ballistic turret for dialing....but I think of it as more of a mid range scope with the hashes being used for the longer shots. At 200-300 yds I rarely crank my scopes up past 12x.....which gives a nice mix of target image while keeping a wide field of view.

I've been looking at those as well, can you give me your initial thoughts?
The optical clarity is better than I expected. Sorry, I have not mounted it on a rifle yet, so I cannot comment on actual tracking repeatability at this time. The illumination knob is tight, and I not sure if it will loosen up in time, but I am OK with it. IMHO, it's a lot of scope for the money.