Best Copper Bullet for 7mm Mag or LRM

happyhunter

I live in California and need to shoot copper bullets. What copper bullet would you recommend for long range hunting for deer, pig, and elk in a custom 7 LRM or 7 Rem Mag.

I have had 2 great experiences with the Barnes 145LRX in a stock 7mm Rem Mag. I shot deer at 150 and 275 yards that never took another step. Should I stick with this bullet? I was not sure if I needed something bigger for elk.

Is there any reason to move to the Barnes 150 TTSX? How about the Barnes 168 LRX?

The Cutting Edge 155 MTH has an outstanding ballistic coefficient, does anyone have experience with this bullet? Are there any other bullets that you would recommend?

I also would like to shoot the 180 Berger Hybrid in the same gun.

What range should the copper bullet that you recommend be limited to?

Thank you for your suggestions.

How long do you consider "Long Range"?

The LRX is a great bullet but they will peter out fairly quickly. I would put the 150TTSX in that group as well. I know it will shoot well & kill anything but the Barnes shed velocity quickly due to their "poor" BC. Both should be good to 700-800yds...

I have shot a good bit of the CEB MTH in 6.5mm. As far as Mono's go, I don't know that there is a better bullet on the market right now. I have always found that the Barnes shoot well but the MTH shoots better, at least in my rigs.

If I had to pick a Mono for hunting, it would be the MTH. The only down side is of course, cost; the MTH is not cheap.

t

Thank you Outlaw6. How do you approach reloading with the CEB MTH bullets for maximum accuracy? Do you put the seal tight band slightly off the case neck and then find the node with powder increments? Can you tune the load by changing seating depth? Should I go with magnum primers or large rifle primers? I was planning on using H1000 and Winchester large rifle primers. I also have Retumbo and Fed 215M primers. What MOA and ES are you getting with your setup?

Thanks

Thank you Outlaw6. How do you approach reloading with the CEB MTH bullets for maximum accuracy? Do you put the seal tight band slightly off the case neck and then find the node with powder increments? Can you tune the load by changing seating depth? Should I go with magnum primers or large rifle primers? I was planning on using H1000 and Winchester large rifle primers. I also have Retumbo and Fed 215M primers. What MOA and ES are you getting with your setup?

Thanks

CEB has a pretty good article on reloading for their bullets that can be viewed & printed from their website.

Cutting Edge Bullets

Probably Mag primers in a large 7-mag. You could try both. H-1000 should prove to be an excellent choice as well.

My 6.5wsm will put 5- 130grn MTH in to .3" @ 100yds & will still roll .5moa @ 500yds. ES at my best accuracy node with virgin brass is 15fps.

PS- the CEB's don't seem to foul nearly as bad as other monos either.

t

You could also consider GSC HV hunting bullets. GSC is CA certified.

What is the twist rate of the barrels and what distance do you have in mind?

My stock 7 mag twist rate is 9.25. My current custom 7 mag is 8.5. I was thinking of building a LRM with a twist of 8.75. I was hoping to shoot 180 berger hybrids and a copper bullet. I would like to shoot to a 1,000 yards for practice and 600 yards on deer or elk. I am currently comfortable shooting deer to 300 yards with copper or lead bullets. I can say that if I shoot a deer in the shoulder with my 7mag with a 145 lrx it will result in a humane kill. I hunt deer most of the time but would like to hunt elk in the future. I am wondering at what distances are other people comfortable shooting deer or elk using copper bullets. This is of course assuming the conditions and skill level is appropriate for that distance. It seems a lot of people are more comfortable shooting animals at long distances with lead. I guess another way to put is: If I am using a custom 7mm LRM or 7mag, what copper bullet should I use if I want to humanely kill an elk at long distance. What distance would you be comfortable using this bullet?

Thank you for your suggestions.

If I was forced to use copper monos, I would go with the Cutting Edge 155 MTH.

I wish they would make a 7mm 168 MTH. Then load data/pressures would be similar with my current 7mm RM Berger VLD load, and I would try them. I would still shoot Bergers, but if CEB's prices were about 1/2 what they are, I would give them a try on deer... But concerning their current prices, I ain't got pockets that deep...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.