load data for 7mm LRM

To the guys shooting the 180 Bergers**

...7LRM is pushing those bullets 3050-3100 by the looks of these posts, has anybody noticed any odd number of your bullets dusting/disintegrating mid-air, by chance? Are they built and chambered into barrels with 1:9 twists, or 8.5 twist, or what exactly??

I've got a little different caliber than the LRM, but velocities were similar to where ( I ) ran into some troubles.. curious whether you guys putting lots of rounds through your LRM's have noted bullet-failures of any kind? (Or has the twist the Gunwerks guys are building around been okay on the bullet jackets) ??

My 7 LRM is built on a 1 in 9 twist. I have shot a little over 500 rounds (536 to be exact) in the last year and have never seen a bullet failure like you are describing. I saw your other post where you described it in detail. I have also shot about that same amount of 140 g Bergers out of a 6.5x284 with no issues.

Rooster 721:

Regarding your unraveling bullets. I used to have a 3 groove 1 in 7 twist 7 Rem mag that began throwing 180 VLDs at round count 225 or so. I switched to the target versions which helped for another 50 rounds or so. Then tried moly which again helped for a little while. The combination of the 3 groove throat getting rough plus the faster than normal twist would ruin the Bergers causing flyers that would be several feet off normal POI at 100 yds! Accubonds solved the issue but the BC suffered. I moved on and learned to more carefully consider the combination of twist and groove configuration with barrels after that expensive mistake.

Rooster 721:

Regarding your unraveling bullets. I used to have a 3 groove 1 in 7 twist 7 Rem mag that began throwing 180 VLDs at round count 225 or so. I switched to the target versions which helped for another 50 rounds or so. Then tried moly which again helped for a little while. The combination of the 3 groove throat getting rough plus the faster than normal twist would ruin the Bergers causing flyers that would be several feet off normal POI at 100 yds! Accubonds solved the issue but the BC suffered. I moved on and learned to more carefully consider the combination of twist and groove configuration with barrels after that expensive mistake.

AZ, you're probably onto something there. I figured I'd get away from that by having 5R groove design, regardless of being 8 twist.. but wasn't so lucky. And relating to round count, there too you nailed it. Mine is in that 440 range right now and even the target hybrids can't hold up... which is odd, because I've babied the barrel with cleanings and short shot strings.

Point of me bringing this twist-issue/bullet failure thing up is to settle on the twist for the next barrel coming down the line... I've settled for a lesser BC Barnes LRX (which is still an awesome bullet by the way) just sufferes a .550 bc rather than that of the Berger or Matrix's. Anyhow, appreciate the replies*

On another note, I see Gunwerks has LRX loaded ammo offered now for the 7LRM.. have any of you guys shot any of those and chronographed what they're giving for speeds? My firebird shoots them 3200 and .6's for groups in the barrel I been talking about the last few posts. Fortunate my barrel likes (them) so much, pretty well forced to stay away from Berger's til I rebarrel really. Very interested in the 7LRM's performance with the 168 Barnes'

I have a Krieger 5r 8 twist barrel that I bought from in stock supply. Will this faster twist work or do I need to order a 9 twist? I want to shoot Berger 180's and hopefully the 195's if they ever come out.

Just adding my load data to an old thread for those who may be searching for 7LRM loads.
My gun: Blueprinted/tried Remington 700 action, Proof Reseaech 26" sendero light Carbon barrel.
Load:
180 Berger Hybrid
70.5 grns H1000
Fed 215 primes
Coal 3.403
Ogive 2.682
3020fps

3 shot group at 200 yards with above load.
7DA2606D-8F0B-4AFD-AFE4-B096FF44C6EA_zpsrfpbztpz.jpg

Just adding my load data to an old thread for those who may be searching for 7LRM loads.
My gun: Blueprinted/tried Remington 700 action, Proof Reseaech 26" sendero light Carbon barrel.
Load:
180 Berger Hybrid
70.5 grns H1000
Fed 215 primes
Coal 3.403
Ogive 2.682
3020fps

Load:
180 Berger Hybrid
70.5 grns H1000
Fed 215 primes
Coal 3.403
Ogive 2.682
3020fps

HI everyone. I am hoping to revive this old thread. I had a Tikka chambered for 7mm LRM. I am working on a load. Because I am stuck in CA, I need to shoot copper bullets. I have settled on Barnes 168 LRX, but would try other copper bullets if someone has good load data. Anyone have any proven load data for 7mm LRM with copper bullets?
Thanks in advance,
Smitty

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts