Best communication devices?

Garmin Rhino gps/radio. Good maps, able to track the other members of our group. Worst case scenario you'll always be able to start searching from their last location.
Terrain will limit but that hasn't been much of an issue.
We use Rinos. Great knowing where my son is anytime. Also carry satfone for emergencies. We're in the Elk Mtns of Colorado.

Usually carry a set of cheap 2 way radios, but they aren't reliable. Ran a Garmin inReach this last year and don't think I'll run anything else at this point!

I currently use some Midland FRS radios but am getting ready to transition to some handheld HAM stuff since my daughter just got license and is helping me through
Lots of repeaters around here. Still doing homework on this though, and there are some very powerful and affordable options out there if you get your HAM.
Ham is interesting but arnt you skrewed in remote areas without repeaters?

Used marine for years small one for hunting 5w and you get 25 w in the vehicle.Lot of cat hunters etc use that Ive been around.You can reach 3-5 miles in mtns quite often and 3 times that sometimes with vehicle

Used marine for years small one for hunting 5w and you get 25 w in the vehicle.Lot of cat hunters etc use that Ive been around.You can reach 3-5 miles in mtns quite often and 3 times that sometimes with vehicle
Marine is better for sure but can get you a big fine (non water use). I am considering it for emergency use in my truck.

Garmin Rhino gps/radio. Good maps, able to track the other members of our group. Worst case scenario you'll always be able to start searching from their last location.
Terrain will limit but that hasn't been much of an issue.
I agree the Rhino gps is good and the mapping is even better. They're about the best for that kind of use. I also use Garmin/ Delorme Inreach units. I'm twenty miles away from cell reception while packing in the summer. I can always talk to my wife, family and other packers with ease. But that costs about $30 a month when I activate it. Worth it to me plus SOS if needed

Ham is interesting but arnt you skrewed in remote areas without repeaters?

True, but it seems like the longest range radio option with the most aftermarket and accessory support from what I am seeing, plus the skills and tech overlap a lot of useful scenarios. Around here there are a lot of repeaters, if I was going to go true wilderness hunt where it would not work at all I would go the Inreach route

#1 on the Garmin Rhino.

Even the Army Rangers use them in Afghanistan to keep track of patrols so there is no chance of friendly fire and so they know where the other patrol is if the patrol is in trouble in a firefight and needs a QRF.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.