Best bore guide, and where can they be bought?

Order from:
Mike Lucas
phone: (803) 356-0282 (Tues., Wed., and Thurs., 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EST.)
Please use E-mail if possible.

225 Browns River Road
Lexington, SC 29072
email: [email protected]

+1 For Lucas as well. Mike's guides are all I have so I really have nothing to compare them to but they have served me well so far.

I agree with all prior posts but I wish I can afford this barrel saver set up ...

T.K. Nollan's Barrel Saver

Ed

ADDED:

Found this statement from a different forum ...

"TK Nollan makes the best one that I can vouch for, Mike Lucas makes the best one that we all can afford".

Last edited:
years back I needed a bore guide pretty quick being as I somehow manage to loose one. The chamber was a custom wildcat with a .262 neck. So I get the grand idea of just making one out of some Delrin stock I had laying around. WRONG! After about six tries I'm moving into a panic mode, and needed the guide really bad. I have about four or five once fire cases laying around, and got a plan (now don't laugh too hard). I stick the case in a lathe, and drill a hole (.31") thru the primer pocket. Take the case an clean it out and degrease it completely. I then take a piece of 5/16" hydraulic tubing that's about ten inches long, and deburr both ends and clean it. I mix up a batch of Hardemans two part epoxy, and with a swab coat the I.D. of the case as best I can. Then out on one wnd of the tube I do the same on the O.D.. Slide the case over the tube, and kinda align it strait as best I can. Then I stick it in the lathe and then hold the fired case strait in a drill chuck in the tail stock. Twenty minutes later it's done (well almost). I now take a reamer that's just a few thousandths bigger the the I.D. of the tube and clean it out. After all that's done I made a collar to hold it in place. Worked very well except when using something like Sweets 7.62. Then I come up with another grand scheme and literally coat the O.D. & I.D. with a thined epoxy solution. (needs to be about as thin as milk). Clean up the case end a tad and it actually fit the chamber even better. Been using it now for about seven or eight years. I've since made a few others like it. They're not perfect, but the first one was far better than waiting six weeks and paying out the nose for one.
gary

Been studying up on boreguides and need some help.
Can the short insert of the lucas boreguide keep the cleaning rods as straight as the longer cleaning tubes in the T.K.Nolan barrell saver? Sorry if this question is old hat, just tring to get the best setup for my latest rifle. Thanks in advance!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.