Best barrel manufacturer

Buy Shilen... They support our service rifle junior team. Barrels donated. I need to finish them to issue next year

Sorry, have to plug one for our sponsors.

20220601_221943.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious on what everyone feels is the best barrel manufacturer. I have used a few different manufacturers over the years Bartlein, Shilen, Carbon 6, Broughton , and Proof research. My opinion is stuck between Broughton and Proof Research. I bought the Broughton as a blank and fit it to the action and it shot like a dream. My Proof was bought as a pre-fit and I installed it on a Zermatt Origin, I had to use a stock off a different rifle to do the break in but was impressed with what I saw after breaking it in. I want to hear everyone's two cents
I have a Cooper in .270win that shoots bug holes all day long. I believe they use barrels from Wilson Arms of Connecticut. Just my 2 cents.

I'm curious on what everyone feels is the best barrel manufacturer. I have used a few different manufacturers over the years Bartlein, Shilen, Carbon 6, Broughton , and Proof research. My opinion is stuck between Broughton and Proof Research. I bought the Broughton as a blank and fit it to the action and it shot like a dream. My Proof was bought as a pre-fit and I installed it on a Zermatt Origin, I had to use a stock off a different rifle to do the break in but was impressed with what I saw after breaking it in. I want to hear everyone's two cents
I have used barrels from all the custom makers in the past they are all good from Hart to proof which is what I use noe when doing up hunting rigs for bads

Bartleins are and have been the barrel of choice by a large majority of PRC shooters. There are tables and graphs online. I don't know the numbers on benchrest competitors. A lot of variables such as cost and availability over the last 20 could affect the numbers.
That being said, I lean toward cut rifled barrels mostly due to internet info. My neighbor is a gunsmith and builds a lot of customs and rebarreled actions. He uses Hart barrels exclusively (button rifled) and swears by them. His rifles are very accurate.

Lol when all the national level Br guys aren't using the same manufacturer then there isn't a specific one.